Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this new reel on the Hardy website this morning. It wasn't on there yesterday. I'm not sure when it will be available, but it will only be made through December 2022.

Thoughts on this reel? Anyone already planning on adding it to their lineup?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The St Aiden reel is a fine reel on my trout spey rods, but I have 2 already and rather collect rods, not reels. As such, no plans to add another

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Looks like a special release of nearly the whole lightweight line. The Aidan is just the one in the picture. Some things are a little off - the weights (if accurate) look a tiny but light. So maybe they did something to the reels like they did with the new Marquis LWT reels. Or maybe it is just newer materials. The ones listed should be, in order of size, reissues of the Flyweight, Featherweight, LRH, Princess, St Aidan and St Andrew. No Zenith? It was always the odd man out with a whole different width and form factor. I guess it was not in the “1970 edition”. If it is a commemorative release then I don’t know why they don’t use the original names in the chart.

I’m with raspberry-patch on these - exactly as with the new Marquis LWT reels my main concern is with how this will effect the prices of the original versions of these reels on eBay. I hope they will go down a little. I still have a few of the lightest ones in both series that are “missing”. 😎

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a special release of nearly the whole lightweight line. The Aidan is just the one in the picture. Some things are a little off - the weights look a tiny but light. So maybe they did something to the reels like they did with the new Marquis LWT reels. Best guess is they are in order of size reissues of the Flyweight, Featherweight, LRH, Princess, st. Aidan and St Andrew. No Zenith? It was always the odd man out with a whole different width and form factor. If it is a commemorative release the I don’t know why they don’t use the original names - or at least something less unattractively lame.

I’m with raspberry-patch on these - exactly as with the new Marquis LWT reels my main concern is with how this will effect the prices of the older versions of these reels on eBay. I hope they will go down a little. I still have a few of the lightest ones in both series that are “missing”. 😎
I think Hardy just likes EFing with people. They published that page yesterday and have changed it like 10 times since the initial launch. First, only one size was listed, then the others came later. There were no specs for any of them at first, then they started slowly filling in. Then they added the spare spool page. The only thing I was interested in seeing was the weight of the largest (8/9) reel. They've now listed THREE different weights for it. It went from 7oz, to 7."something" (I think it was 7.6oz), and now to 8oz :rolleyes: . Also they added "SPEY" to the 9WF line in the Capacity row of the spec chart for this reel. I guess you're just supposed to drop like $700 on one and see what you get 🤷‍♂️ . No thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Ah, ok. The weight discrepancies can easily be explained then as potential typos. Kudos for your obsessive tracking!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, ok. The weight discrepancies can easily be explained then as potential typos. Kudos for your obsessive tracking!
Well, I'm at work and have nothing to do but read about gear, technique, and fish tales. Sure beats twiddlin the ol' thumbs. If I "had a life", I guess I'd be on Twitter or Facebook or something, but I don't, so I go to Hardy's webpage and things of this sort, haha. Big loser, I know, but I'm cool with it. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts