Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Two years ago on a lark I bought a switch rod and have been spey casting for smallmouth bass and whatever else will bite. I've had success fishing my home waters of the Susquehanna River, and some of it's tributaries from Harrisburg to Huntingdon. I'm currently fishing the same rod I started out with, St. Croix Imperial 1106.4 with a 400 grain Commando head with light MOW tips and a 390 grain Rio scandi short. I also use lighter Commando heads with polyleaders on single handers from a 6'-6" glass 3 weight to 9' 5 weight graphite swinging for trout. Looking forward to learning from all of you, and hopefully I'll be able to return the favor.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,233 Posts
Do you have any kind of a boat?

Oh, and welcome to this forum............. I ask about a boat because I lived in PA (was born there) up until 2004 and can tell you some great places where you can put your rod to work on Smallies or trout. Problem is that for the best bass waters I used my boat...

Ard

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GHalliday, thanks for the welcome. I'm sure Ard has a good tip or two for yellow(?) sallies. Maybe this is a little too simple a tip, but I had some good luck last summer skating some #14 or #12 yellow stimulator looking flies across the fastest riffles I could find. Florescent yellow body without the red butt, no body hackle, natural deer hair wing, and cream hackle around the deer hair tie-in point (thorax?). They looked like a kindergartener tied them, but the browns didn't care. They just destroyed my flies all afternoon. Sometimes they'd hit them as they were swinging, sometimes as they were weaving back and forth on the hang down. Fast aerated water in the summertime makes for some violent strikes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi CaptC, I guess there's a couple of us PA guys fishing 2 handers now. Although, I'm still a novice, I do enjoy it. East coast PA guy here, sounds like you reside more in Central/Western Pa, where the trout streams abound. Thinking of picking up a trout spey rod soon, but it sounds like you are using a single hander for that. Would like to pick your brain about that,,,

·
Registered
839 Posts
GHalliday, thanks for the welcome. I'm sure Ard has a good tip or two for yellow(?) sallies. Maybe this is a little too simple a tip, but I had some good luck last summer skating some #14 or #12 yellow stimulator looking flies across the fastest riffles I could find. Florescent yellow body without the red butt, no body hackle, natural deer hair wing, and cream hackle around the deer hair tie-in point (thorax?). They looked like a kindergartener tied them, but the browns didn't care. They just destroyed my flies all afternoon. Sometimes they'd hit them as they were swinging, sometimes as they were weaving back and forth on the hang down. Fast aerated water in the summertime makes for some violent strikes.
Try skating those through a riffle just after sundown. Maybe tie some in black. Ive had good luck in the Catskills doing that. It seems there is a whole different world after dark and fish behavior changes when the sun goes down. Remember that aquatic insect life does not stop just because the sun goes down.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi rakuz66, that's right, I am from Central Pa. Generally I don't make it much farther west than Lake Raystown. I'm looking into a proper trout spey outfit myself... there is some water in my area that's big enough to swing for trout. And I was thinking that one light enough could double as a euro-nympher in a pinch.
Actually that's why I joined this forum. I need some advice on what rod weight and associated lines I should be looking for. I was thinking 10'-6" to 11' for 2 or 3 line because it's way more fun when you can feel a common eastern size trout or smallmouth fight. My 6 weight switch turns them into a surfboard in very short order. I do find some larger fish, usually smallies and occaisionally trout over 20", that bend the rod down into the butt, but it's not every time out. The smaller streams are for my single handers. I'd be happy to offer what advice I can in that area. I've been kicking around the idea of building a single handed blank into a short two hander for a while now, but I still trying to decide if it's really worth my time... I'm really wondering if having a lower handle will help accuracy & loop control on a short rod. I find the need to pound the banks and get under low branches quite often and still use a longish leader and light tippet. That has cost me quite a few flies in the last couple years

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might as well bust this wide open and risk criticism for being interested in trash fish... anybody specifically targeting catfish with streamers fished deep? There are tons of them in certain buckets around my area and I'd love some input on this subject. I'd like to catch something that actually takes me into the backing and makes the reel scream

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,238 Posts
I don't target them but I got my first channel cat on the fly last spring. Not a huge fight but more of a steady and hard pull. There are several folks here that encounter them.

Dan

·
JD
3,607 Posts
If there are Carp in the rivers, they will for sure take you into your backing. They will take flies, but they are very spooky, even more so than trout. There is a book called Carp on the Fly that is very good.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the past, during a brief stint of fishing conventional tackle (that stuff has been gathering dust in the rafters for years now), I've caught a few smaller ones while bass fishing. There are much larger ones here though. Friends of mine fish for them swimming live shiners and small sunfish down through the current. They have had really good days where they've caught enough in two hours to have a fish fry that fed twenty plus of their family members. Since i heard that, I've wondered if a sunfish colored intruder or other large profiled fly fished with some action would work for someone who is curious enough to try. I personally wouldn't keep any because I have never really cared for the taste, I just love to fish and I'm always looking for an opportunity to go.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob Clouser told me about fishing for them years ago. I cast to them as I happen upon them. Never had one take though. I've had better luck with muskie on the fly believe it or not. Two different games there though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts