Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've read it here before but can't seem to find it now, but what is the diff. between the old brown and new green sage 6126-3? Also just how big IS the gap to a T&T 1307?

Thanks

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
About 6" and $55 :hehe:

I own the T&T and have spent some time casting, but not fishing, the 6126. I like both rods and I guess I would ask what your application would be for them. The Sage is in my opinion a lighter rod for smaller summer fish, half pounders, etc. I have no doubt that it has the backbone to land larger fish but it always has felt to me to be a large trout rod. The T&T is more of a steelhead rod to my way of thinking. Both are nice rods though and I am sure can be made to fit the application nicely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My introduction to spey casting was with a T&T 1409. It's a blast to cast but to much rod for my fishing. I find myself avoiding people and fishing the upper reaches of rivers where I could pitch half again the width of the river. I also like to nymph under an indicater and when fishing short the 1409 starts to feel like a telephone pole (highstickin). The brown 6126 is soft for my preferance and overlaps my SAS 10' 7wt to much. I would like to know what the green(newer?) 6126 is like in comparrison. And then there is that T&T. Oh my God I love those rods. I almost wish I never had one.
What a fantastic dilemma to be in. I wish I was rich
Thanks for any input
Scott

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sage 6126 vs T&T 1307

I have both rods and fish both for summer steelhead. If I want to throw a sinking leader, or just a sinktip, the wind is not too strong, and the river is small, I choose the 6126 (green color). To the contrary, if I want to throw more feet of sinking line, there is wind, the fly is big, possible heavy, and I cannot reach the other side of the river, I use the T&T. The Sage is so much lighter than the T&T, it is much less tiring to cast. I don't worry about the size of the fish during the summer. The Sage is a toy compared to the T&T but you can cover a lot of water with it. Its also a bit less forgiving.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
green vs. brown

To my understanding, the only difference between the brown and green (6126 Sage) is just the color. The first ones were brown, then Sage decided that they wanted the Euro action Spey rods to have the same color as the XP's which have a similar fast tip action.

Just he opposite is true of the traditional action Spey rods. They were first green (2001) to match the color (action) as the SP's. When Sage replaced the SP's with the SLT series (which is what they refer to as "tiger stiipe brown" color), someone in marketing said "hey wait a minute , we have to change the color on the traditiional Speys to match this color since the action is similar."

The T&T 1307-3 is an entirely different animal. and if anyone out there has a T&T 1307-3 & is interested in a Sage green 7136-4, I would be interested in negotiating a trade.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Jimmie, what's your 'target date' for coming up before the

Charity Clinic?

Your 'Realtor' called to get a grab on your timing. FYI: Jim appears to be "seeing the light" and considering a move to God's Country.
:smokin:

Won't add the 'winter steelhead count' above Medford is now a tick short of 10,000 in the top 30 miles of the river. Will be interesting to see where this ends as the "peak of the season" doesn't occur until the last half of March.

Maybe it's time to take some of that 3 weeks vacation and get out of Dodge (as in Dodge Bridge for those who know our landmarks).
fae

1 - 6 of 6 Posts