Registered
235 Posts
sounds good....

Thanks Dana.

·
Registered
235 Posts
update....

Ok, I called Great Lakes Flyfishing Co. and I will be meeting them at the expo this weekend ot discuss matters. They want me to drop off some fliers, and I am bringing many to pass out to other reps and outfitters that may be interested.

Also, I consulted Loop, and they might be intersted in helping sponser a clave. They told me to call back at the end of the month since I will be ordering the rods from them anyways for myself.

Also, I have to begin making some more of my custom lines to use at the clave. As of right now, I am going to make two lines for short range fishing, such as rivers here in our GL and I will make a few long bellied lines if I can get my hands on some demos to create the tapers. If anyone wants use one please let me know, I will probably have to put one of these on one of the reels we get to borrow for the clave.

Thanks, keep updated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well....

I was at the Southfield Expo all day today and was fortunate enough to meet many of the sponsers and some who plan on attending the clave.

I talked to several people. The most intersting figure who stood out the most to me was Simon Gawesworth from Rio. I told him I would meet him up there and was I glad I did. He had a wealth of information realted to spey fishing and the lines he helped develop. I learned alot about the Grand Spey, Midspey and the Windcutter spey. I got to take a look at the specs and the grains, and see what they were developed for. I was really intersted in finding out what tips/heads or whatever was best for our region with our smaller streams. He gave me some T-14 line to use, which sinks at 14" per second. I told him I was fishing on Sunday morning and he told me to try it out and let him know if it works out ok. I also talked to Matt Supinski, Kevin Feenstra, the crew at Great Lakes Flyfishing Co. and Craig Harris. Everything looks good right now. I met Neil as well, we had a brief few moments and chatted some too.

I handed out flyers to several people, and I had to make more copies at the expo center since I ran out, they were going like crazy.

I did get to test the Sage 14'1" 9wt "Euro" and the 14' 9wt "Trad" as well as the 14'1" 7wt "Euro." The 9wt's were casted with a windcutter 9/10/11 and the 7wt a windcutter 7/8/9. The 14'1" 7wt is a meat stick, truly built more like an 8wt rod in my opinion. It casted the head easily, well into the running line. The 14'1" 9wt "Euro" was a faster rod, very easily casted the entire head, and picked it up with no problem. The 14' 9wt "Trad" was a sweet rod, and loaded into the butt. Had enough reserve power, but still couldn't perform as well as the Euro's in my opinion.

Clave it up!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Dan,

Thanks for the update, let me know how you like that Rio T-14 tips I am about ready to pull the trigger on some of that.

PM Out

·
Registered
235 Posts
yes....

Simon was telling me that the compensater is one of the best things they ever introduced to the spey line series. I agree from what I hear so far.

The T-14 is unique since it can be cut into sections and then added as tips. Simon and I must have chatted for two hours total on this one day, and he is going to email me a sheet with the specs to know how far to cut back on the spey lines and how many grains for the depth. This way, you can't fish too deep or too shallow, it is all relative. The tips and sinking leaders don't get down fast enough for me on some rivers, even when mending and using sinking flies. I would resort to the T-14 on many rivers I have fished, but that is just me. For 500yds at $10, you can't beat it in my opinion.

Well, clave it up!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I need to know more, this could be the holy grail to finally get us to the strike zone ASAP and for as long as possible.

You know what I mean.

Whats this 500 yards for $ 10 now we are really talking my type of spey sink tip economics !! :hehe: :hehe:

I beleive you have the wrong cost unit there Dan, but I hope not

PM Out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
opps...

I did make a mistake Hal, but don't have a heart attack:hehe:

It is only 500ft for $10. They are sold on spools the size of 250yds of maxima or other mono material.

J

·
0 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the retail price of a 500ft spool of T-14 is $180.00. I have the Rio price sheet right in front of me. What Simon might have told you is that that means you can put together a 30ft sinking head for about $10.00. To be honest, I've used it briefly, and I find that the Type 8 tip gets down almost as fast as a 15ft piece of T-14 and the Type 8 tip is tapered. It's another tool in the arsenal, but I doubt it's going to be the second coming. Being able to buy a 50ft piece for $18.00 and make up several lengths of tips does make it very attractive.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks, guys I have ordered some. :D :D

The river bottom looks closer already.

PM Out

·
Registered
235 Posts
hey Hal...

How much did you pay for the T-14?

·
Registered
235 Posts
update....

Ok here is an update on the clave.

Lodging may be big matter that needs to be discussed. I know that there are three hotels I can name in Newaygo that are availible with rooms as of right now.

- The Oakridge Inn
- Riverside Motel
- M-37 Motel

Also, Simon said he will be sending Rio lines with his friend Jerry and we got Scott rods now as well. I also mentioned to Simon about possibly getting some T-14 to use, and he said that shouldn't be a problem.

All is well, clave it up!

·
Registered
235 Posts
All up to you....

Whatever floats your boat....:hehe:

I did check out the polyleaders, but not sure if they are going to work on my local rivers very effectivly. If I get the sink tip compensater, maybe..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Dan,

I hope a Rio Quickshooter 8-weight and 9-weight are among the lines Rio will be sending. I would like to try them on my Loomis GLX 11'6" 8/9 weight rod.

CK

·
Registered
459 Posts
Now I have the following types of sink tips:

- Home grown SA Deep Water Express

- Cortland fast sinking

- Air Flo Poly Leaders

- RIO T-14

Now what is happening at the clave on Sunday ? the ND Blue and Gold Game is Saturday the 26th as I thought. Smolt I will be emailing you tonight on your plans for that weekend.

Planning on being there sunday and then staying monday -tuesday for fishing if my business schedule allows. Hopefully I do not have to go to Schweiser land that week but in May sometime.

PM Out

·
Registered
235 Posts
well....

Most of us will be fishing, but as Mark said, some will be leaving. I am hoping I can find someone that I can drift with, anyone have a spot?

Everything is set, now we just need to wait and update when needed.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts