Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we are a rare breed here in New England, but was wondering if there were other Speyclave boardmembers living in this area.

I am new to this board, but recognize several from other boards. What a great BB, I can see I will be learning much!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
If you see someone spending their lunch hour casting a 15 footer in a farm pond or city canal in MA, chances are it's me. I spent many years of steelheading hardcore pursuit in the Seattle area, moved to New England several years ago for a family emergency, and make my pilgrimage back to the PNW without fail each year (twice most years).

If you are interested in a get together on the CT river or upper Merrimac for brood stock atlantics next spring, let me know. The fishery is pretty pathetic compared to northern rivers in the Canadian Maritimes, across the atlantic, or the pacific northwest, but hey it's a reason to Spey cast.

Thankfully the outstanding striper fishery in the salt keeps me quite entertained between Spey trips, and the northeast contingent of the flyfishing forum is very active :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great idea Juro. Maybe a Spey Casting get together this spring? I would be willing to drive a couple of hours to brush up with others that are interested.
On an unrelated note, I have heard that the fishing in NY is on fire. Where's my calender...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Juro, I fish the 'Mac regularly so that would be great. I live up near Waterville Valley, but fish the section below Bristol frequently. I will probably be out there trying not to hook myself this weekend. Your right, its not the Grand Cascapedia, but hey, they ARE Atlantics, and some are fairly good sized.

Do any of you head up to the Great Lakes? I am from Oswego originally, so visiting family becomes a priority in the Fall/Winter(lol)!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
bumping this up...

Just a reminder, we will be holding a nor'easter spey clave this spring with guest Topher Browne among others. It seems the Merrimac River is winning the bidding so far, up in the headwaters.

There will be instruction, demonstrations, and fishing for brood salmon. If you are interested in learning about Spey casting or sharing what you know, chime in! :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
FYI....

Hey, NE guys,

LOSA (Lake Ontario Steelhead Association) normally has a fisherman's demo at the hatchery at Altmar on the Salmon River (NY) on National Hunting & Fishing Day in Sept. Lots of spey casting and demos, among other things. It's a good conservation organization, and the folks are helpful with regard to sharing info, patterns, etc.

No, I'm not from Mass. My family came to this country through Boston, and my grandparents and great aunts & uncles all had the accents to prove it. (We even munched dulce [dulse?] often. You know, the purple seaweed.)

Just thought you might like to know about the shindig at Altmar - it's a good time to be on the Salmon, too - fishing is usually good, and it's before the major crowds hit. If anyone is interested, I will post follow-up info a month or so before.

BobK

·
Flats Rat
24 Posts
Darkstar

I'm an 'Old' Englander now living in New England.

Downhere in CT they release broodstock into the Naugatuck and one or two other rivers.

I must try the CT river this season - the run of big Stripers is legendary - not in the same class as a wild Atlantic Salmon by any means but as Noble as any broodstock kelt.

Sure would be fun to swing te big rods out there - I guess the 'Mack gets is run of striped bass too?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts