Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never fished a spey/switch rod, but i want to start. I live in New Hampshire and most of my fishing is done with a 3 or 4 weight. I have an opportunity to get an Orvis helios 2 switch rod, as I broke one of my Orvis rods a couple of weeks back and they are offering me an upgrade. It looks like the smallest switch they offer is a 5 weight and i am wondering if that is just overkill for New England rivers? I don't want to get it if it's just going to sit in my basement. Is a 5 weight practical for fishing in New England? From what I have been reading, Echo makes a good 3 weight, so i might just suck it up and buy that, but was hoping to use my upgrade option with Orvis.
I look forward to your responses and trying to learn from everybody here.
Thanks,
Ted

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,079 Posts
It depends...

The rod would be good for dapping on streams with some size. To use it on the small mountain streams would be more frustrating. Fishing larger rivers would be fine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mooregrouse,

It's been about a decade since I fished in CT. Of all the streams I fished there, a 5wt Switch would be way too much rod, except for perhaps the bigger water areas on the Farmington and Framington Rivers, but even there on the biggest water I never felt that I needed more than an 8.5' 5wt single handed rod for trout. I also never fished anything bigger than a #6 wooly bugger. A 5wt switch might be ok for the CT River, but I don't know the trout areas of it, so no help there. For your area if I was going to swing flies, I would look at a 2 or 3wt switch or trout spey, I just don't remember the water being that deep anywhere that I would want to fish heavy tips, so if I wanted to get things down I would use a poly leader. Perhaps the Echo Glass 3wt would be a option if you are not wanting to spend a great deal of money.

Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mooregrouse,

I live in CT but make it up to New Hampshire to do some fishing. My inlaws live in Berlin. I fished the Androscoggin up in Errol last Spring/Summer. I brought a Redington Dually 11' for a #5. Caught some trout nothing over 15 inches on a 350 grain Skagit. I knew I had fish on but not a thrill by any means. A 17 inch Smallie put up an okay fight on the rod but again too much "juice". Since then I have done handle conversions on an 11' ARE 3/4 IM6 and a 12' ARE 2/3 IM6. These rods are much more trout friendly and really give the fish a chance to show some fight. I would pass on the Orvis 5 weight and get the Echo 3 or maybe even something smaller. The new Echo Glass 10'6" #3 sounds good but I have not flexed or cast the rod. I feel ideal grain weights for New England to be 150 - 300 grains. I fish a 175 grain on the 11' 3/4 and a 225 grain on the 12' 2/3 and this will cover all the bases, any more grains are unnecessary. And no that is not a typo on the grain weights. The 11' 3/4 is a single hand rating while the 2/3 is a spey rating.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just picked up the Echo Glass 3106, awesome rod. You're definitely going to feel fish on it, and it's strong enough to throw streamers. I test drove a forum members rod last week, and was ordering one at the fly shop an hour later. I think it's going to be a blast on our local Puget Sound beaches, and for my annual trip swinging for landlocks in Pittsburg NH while visiting the in-laws.

I was throwing a 310 Scandi on it this morning, and am going to drop down to 300, and maybe even 270. Check it out, might be just what you're looking for if you don't want to build an AR.
Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
655 Posts
I live in New Hampshire, and am very familiar with the average, and above average trout sizes. I have a Meiser 12'6" 3/4/5 wt, and it is too much for our trout IMO. OK for landlocks. I am looking for a trout switch in the 2 or 3 wt.

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
I live in NY but have fished rivers in New England such as the Farmington and Deerfield rivers. I fish a 12'6" 5 weight spey rod for trout and landlocked salmon, and yes the rod may be a bit overkill for trout under say 15", but who cares it's fun. Also, it allows me to utilize sink tips and large streamers otherwise unwieldy with a 3 or 4 weight spey/switch. As a former orvis employee I can tell you the h2 #5 switch seems more of a 6 switch than a 5, and hence may be a bit much for trout under a few pounds. If your bent on using your Orvis credit, I'd say go with the 12' 5 weight Clearwater Spey rod, it would suit your needs a little better, less stiff and powerful than the H2 switch #5, and a more relaxed stroke indicative to an actual spey taper. Otherwise I'd say heed others words and look to another manufacturer, just remember if you plan to use sinking tips and polys with weighted flies anything less then a 5 isn't ideal IMO.

Downgrading from a Helios blank to a Clearwater blank may seem painful, but they are closer in performance than you may think. Anyway, I hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I fish New Hampshire quite a bit, I built an 11' 7" 5wt and fish the Androscoggin with it. Perfect river for the rod. Not sure where you live but it might give you the chance to explore the the larger rivers a bit more.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Like a previous poster stated, the H2 is definitely on the higher end of the 5 wt. spectrum. If I were you, I would use the upgrade on a SH H2 (the 9' 5wt. is a killer) and pick up a lighter switch from Echo or another manufacturer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know much about New England but I do have the Helios one version of that rod. I live in CA and have used it for half pound steelhead, shad and surf fishing for perch. I like the rod and you might be surprised at how useful it will be.

I grew up in Northern WI and I know what fishing small streams in brushy areas is like. I would not recommend the rod for that purpose. However even the smallest stream flows into something bigger and you might use it there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips everyone. I decided to just have Orvis repair my original rod. I went and bought a 6113 Ross Reach and figure I will learn on that. I can use the Ross in Pulaski and if I make a trip to Gaspe or Labrador this fall. I can also use it for smallmouth in a river about a mile from my house and there are a couple of bigger rivers that I fish that I could use it in certain spots. I have a feeling I am really going to like this, and if so, I will get a 2 or 3 weight for the Spring. There is so much to learn about lines and tackle and casting. I can't wait to get out and give it a try.
Best,
Mooregrouse

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
Good for you, sounds like a fun rod. As far as lines go if say try starting with an airflo cold water running line 20lb. Connect it to a 360-390 grain rage compact or Scandi head and give it a whirl. Getting a feel for line tapers and grain weights you prefer can take some practice. Demo lines at ur local shop if possible, that's ideal but not always possible for everyone. Either way good luck buddy and enjoy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts