Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been bitten by the reel bug. For some people fine rods, especially bamboo make them all weak in the knees. For me it appears to be classic or classic style reels. This makes sense, I have always been a gear head.
So, I have been thinking about this for awhile now. While I am not in the market at this moment as I have the reels that I need I thought that in the next couple of years I would like to acquire an investment or “heirloom” reel, something that will hold or increase in value that I can hold on to and pass down when the time comes.
Obviously Bogdan is the first name that comes to mind. But I can’t see myself shelling out the kind of money that is being asked for these. I know that Olson reels are revered but they command almost as much as Bogdans.
If you were me who would you consider? I am not really looking for a museum piece but a solid classic style reel that is fit to use yet is something that one would want to keep.
I appreciate any opinions given.

Thank You

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,496 Posts
Emel,

If I wanted a disk drag model I would look for a Bogdan or order a Noel. The Olson disk model would also be an option.

If looking for a gear and pawl, the only one I would even consider is an Olson. The Henshaw reels are nice but if going that direction, I would rather get a Perfect.

With a 22-26 month lead time on an Olson, order now and you have time to get the funds together :smokin:

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
first that comes to mind is Henshaw, Speyco will build custom. Sarcione would also be sweet. Lots of folks like Farlow, but I find them a bit odd sounding.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Benchmade

Bellinger, Saracione, Godfrey, Olson, Bogdan, Brusky. All benchmade, all American. Each have their own beauty and power. Each reflects a quality of the craftsman that designed and made them. You can still get these men on the phone. Al Bellinger is retired, but will still sell and talk reels with you. Stan is gone, but Steve, although retired, will chat with you. I have an Olson in the mail right now, and he's been quite the gentleman.

Good luck. You can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Administrator
19,077 Posts
When someone mentions vintage or classic salmon reels, Vom Hoffe or Zwarg are the reels that come to mind. No one has captured this style reel like William Olson !!

I get giddy ... and I mean school girl giddy, over Olson reels :hihi::hihi:
I have a wide drum fetish, in particular, reels with serpentine handles(S-Handles). William's reels fit the bill quite nicely !!

I have recently sold off the last of my "other" reels to make room for my next two Olson Gear & Pawl reels.

When it comes to tackle, my rods are Meiser and my reels are Olson :smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Bellinger, Saracione, Godfrey, Olson, Bogdan, Brusky. All benchmade, all American. Each have their own beauty and power. Each reflects a quality of the craftsman that designed and made them. You can still get these men on the phone. Al Bellinger is retired, but will still sell and talk reels with you. Stan is gone, but Steve, although retired, will chat with you. I have an Olson in the mail right now, and he's been quite the gentleman.

Good luck. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Bogdan's HAVEN'T been benchmade for a very long time !! Saracione reels are spectacular and Joe's Deluxe benchmade ones are even more so.Excellent service !

·
Registered
808 Posts
If it's an investment reel, then it has to be a Hermann or Bogdan. Hermann stopped making these a few years back and the second hand market for them just keeps going up, as do the Bogdans. Of course the entry fee into this club is pretty steep, but I can't see them coming down anytime soon.
The "real" classics ie Vom Hofe, Zwarg, etc fetch good money but they seem to have stabilised in price except for the rarest and most pristine.
I can't see any of these reels however, fetching for instance the estimated £50k by a knowledgeable expert friend for a rare Hardy in the upcoming Classic auction in London - even in 20 years time.
Saracione (Deluxe I & II) also seem to have stopped going up in value since he started production of these again - perhaps when he retires again!
Noel, Olson are superb examples of engineering but are real fishing reels. Whether they will attain the same revered status as Bogdans is anyone's guess, though if I were to put money on one, it would be an Olson due to a wait approaching 3 years in very short time. For me I can't see why you'd buy one of these reels then put them on a shelf - they were born to work, and I'm sure the makers would be anguished to know that this was the case.
IMHO, the rest could be categorised as attractive, fishable, classic styled reels which will hold value but not make a hell of a lot more - and less if it were a CNC'd reel.

Cheers,
S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts