Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Earlier this year Kerry completed the design on a new 5125-4 two-handed rod. I was lucky enough to obtain one and find that a 300-330 Scandi or 350-375 Skagit work a treat on them. I look forward to using it throughout Northern California and Southern Oregon when conditions permit. A longer 5 weight was missing in the Burkie offerings and it is great to see that option filled by such a great rod.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do perceive a similarity in action, but I'm hesitant to say so with any authority. They obviously throw a line 60-90 grains apart. I'm not sure if they would deflect the same or if there's similarities in their taper or pattern. I'd call the good folks at Burkheimer and ask them to be sure.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Still holding out for a 6116.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Jason,

I want one of these rods, I have been in communication with Kerry about it, just a couple of questions about it, what reel are you using the balance it? and what handle did you get on it? I want to do a trout spey handle, the reverse half wells.

Cheers!

Adrian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jason,

I want one of these rods, I have been in communication with Kerry about it, just a couple of questions about it, what reel are you using the balance it? and what handle did you get on it? I want to do a trout spey handle, the reverse half wells.

Cheers!

Adrian
Hi Adrian,

Handle is certainly a personal choice. On all my two-handed rods I ask the builder to turn the grip down very thin, simply because it's my preference. Others don't care for it, which is of course fine. To answer your question directly, I have the standard handle shape turned down thin per my preference.

Regarding reel choice, there's certainly a plethora of options across a variety of tastes. Just from what I've actually hung on the rod and felt, the Sage Trout Spey 3/4/5 and the new made in England Hardy Bougle 3 3/4" (released today) reel both work very well. I'm a sucker for a vintage Perfect so I use a 1906 check 3 5/8" Perfect myself. I'd love to see Hardy offer their current Widespool Perfect in a 3 5/8" size to bridge the gap in the line. Time will tell...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Adrian,

Handle is certainly a personal choice. On all my two-handed rods I ask the builder to turn the grip down very thin, simply because it's my preference. Others don't care for it, which is of course fine. To answer your question directly, I have the standard handle shape turned down thin per my preference.

Regarding reel choice, there's certainly a plethora of options across a variety of tastes. Just from what I've actually hung on the rod and felt, the Sage Trout Spey 3/4/5 and the new made in England Hardy Bougle 3 3/4" (released today) reel both work very well. I'm a sucker for a vintage Perfect so I use a 1906 check 3 5/8" Perfect myself. I'd love to see Hardy offer their current Widespool Perfect in a 3 5/8" size to bridge the gap in the line. Time will tell...

Hey good adivce, just got my order in with Kerry, going to pair it with a 1939 ed Bougle (didnt realize it was available) cant wait to swing it on my home water.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where are you guys able to find the 1939 Bougle? Pm welcomed
Hi,

I can't speak for the gentleman who stated he ordered one, but to the best of my knowledge they were just officially released this month. Pure Fishing (the parent company of Hardys) has been quite delayed in shipping product to dealers, so it may be a few more weeks before they start showing up in any number. That said, if you're interested in one I'd encourage you to discuss with your local Hardy Authorized Dealer. They will be available sooner than later.

Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just to muck things up Meiz built me a 12.6 5 wt for Lees Ferry in Longhorn colors burnt orange and grey a year ago. Big river and bigger flows on CO. If I had to pick between my wife and the rod I would really miss my wife. Sorry. I have less than nada experience with Burkies so don't ask.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts