Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. I've been a lurker on this site for years now, mostly just posting to sell or buy equipment. However, This late summer(august 20-30) will find me in Moncton, New Brunswick for a family reunion. It seems impossible to forgo an opportunity to find/look for an atlantic salmon, as this is probably the closest I will ever be to their area! I have literally no idea about how to go about this. Does anyone on here have any hints or tips on rivers to go to, places to stay/check out, or how to best organize logistics from moncton?

A rental car will be part of the equation, and likely 2-3 days of fishing. Also trying to determine if I should bring my own equipment (flying from the west coast) or rent out there. It seems like I'm required to have a guide.

THanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Moncton is about two hours drive from the Miramichi. Late August fishing can be decent, as the evenings cool and water temperatures drop. There are a number of full-service outfitters, some of which have self catering options, and can provide guides and gear. The WW Doak fly shop in Doaktown has links to a number of the outfitters on its website - W. W. Doak and Sons Ltd. Fly Fishing Tackle

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Here is a list of links to outfitters www dot doak dot com. Click on the accomodations tab. You will need a guide. August can be very tough fishing, or, depending on conditions, delightful dry fly fishing. I'm speaking of the Main SW Miramichi and its tributaries, plus the Northwest Miramichi river.

many of the outfitters listed can rent you equipment.
Gary

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, sounds like august could be great or not so great. Either way, that's when I'll be there. Will it be common knowledge if I'm out there that it's too hot and the river is too low or too warm? Or is it more like the success rates decline, but still could be fishing?

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's totally dependant on whether there is rain. But some of the better outfitters have cold water pools that will hold fish. As Gary said, can make for great dry fly action.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts