Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New book that should peak some peoples interest.

New Book on Half-Pounders

After several years of research and writing, The Half Pounder – A Steelhead Trout, Life History and Fly Fishing, by Fisheries Scientist and fly angler Dennis P. Lee, is scheduled for publication March 2015. The printing will be limited to 500 copies, each signed by the author and individually numbered. The hardcover book includes 14 chapters, 240 pages and hundreds of full color photographs. Individual chapters cover the origin of half-pounder and steelhead names, evolution and distribution, and life history of this unique steelhead trout. Also included are chapters describing the geography and early history of southern Oregon and northern California half-pounder rivers relating to anadromous fish, and information from published and unpublished fisheries studies on half-pounders. Chapters on half-pounder fly fishing tackle, fishing presentations and methods, and color plates of over 150 historic and current half-pounder fly patterns are included. You can email Dennis at [email protected] for more information about the book.

As a side note, Dennis retired from the California Department of Fish and Game in 2006 as a Supervising Fishery Biologist after 35 years managing California’s inland and anadromous fisheries. He began his career began in 1970 as a Fish and Wildlife Assistant at the Nimbus Salmon and Steelhead Hatchery on the American River and supervised and assisted in a variety of statewide projects and programs during his career. He continues to work for the Department as a Retired Annuitant, responsible for the preparation of Chinook salmon and steelhead program Hatchery and Genetic Management Plans for Central Valley anadromous hatcheries. He caught his first half-pounder in 1968 on the lower Eel River while attending Humboldt State University where he earned a B.S. degree in Fisheries. Dennis continues to tie flies and fish for steelhead throughout in northern California and southern Oregon steelhead rivers.

Some really good information and great pictures of fish and flies.
All Good Things,
Gary Anderson

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gary,

Thank you for the info!! I will be contacting Dennis for my copy. I am glad Dennis is sharing his wealth of knowledge about this subject that I believe the general steelhead angling population knows very little about.

Darrell

·
Fish Whisperer
249 Posts
Very Cool!

This is great news. I've always been intrigued by this steelhead life history trait.

Combs did a great job describing them in his chapters on the Klamath and Rogue in "the book" but doesn't get into detail on what environmental factors have been at work over the generations to make this such a successful life history strategy on these rivers. I'm sure Dennis will.

Really looking forward to this!

Larry

·
D.P.Lee
48 Posts
Half-Pounder life history

Larry;

what environmental factors have been at work over the generations to make this such a successful life history strategy
I (and most likely others) have pondered this question often. One interesting suggestion is this is not a successful life history strategy for the species as a whole, and the Rogue, Klamath, and Eel river half-pounder runs may be relict populations that might disappear (as it may have for other West Coast steelhead runs) at sometime in the future.

You can read more on this subject in my new book.

Dennis

·
Registered
766 Posts
Gary,

Thanks for posting this. Big fan of Dennis's flies and scholarly works over the years. Should be a great book.

Enjoy The Spey Journey,
sixheads

1 - 5 of 5 Posts