Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the chance to try the new Airfo Switch Floating or streamer line?These are one piece lines for the lighter switch rods. Sounds interesting for my 4wt switch so any experience would be greatly received

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Has anyone had the chance to try the new Airfo Switch Floating or streamer line?These are one piece lines for the lighter switch rods. Sounds interesting for my 4wt switch so any experience would be greatly received
Mine are not yet here, but when they do, I'll post up a review and perhaps some video.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
got a sample switch streamer 420 awhile back. similar to a skagit short with a bit of front taper. cast well with a 65gr rio 10' tip. fat running line is great for stripping, not so much for distance. tom larimer recommended a 40# poly instead of the tip, only tried the 24# poly, i liked the 10' tip best. interested in trying the scandi integrated next.

·
pearl jammin'
382 Posts
I haven't used one but it doesnt seem like it would have enough grains per foot to turnover a big fly or tip?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got a sample switch streamer 420 awhile back. similar to a skagit short with a bit of front taper. cast well with a 65gr rio 10' tip. fat running line is great for stripping, not so much for distance. tom larimer recommended a 40# poly instead of the tip, only tried the 24# poly, i liked the 10' tip best. interested in trying the scandi integrated next.
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a good line for the rivers I fish where I only ever need polyleaders or 10' tips. The scandi version sounds like it may be the rage taper with an integrated running line. Sounds like a good option for small rivers where you need short and long casts without the loop to loop connection rattling through the eyes

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an update I managed to get hold of the Airflo Switch Floater to use on my sage 4116. The line was the 4 wt 270 gr. I fished it on a lake where I try to fish and practice Spey casting at the same time. I used a 10' floating trout polyleader which was supplied with the line. First impressions of the line are very good. The line Spey casts and over head casts extremely well and the one piece design is really great for fishing a short line, no annoying loops clunking through the eyes. As usual with airflo its a great line and I will be using it a lot. This is actually the line I have been looking for some time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Neil W, what's the running line like? Is it thicker (and easier to handle) than most "trout" running lines?

I've been using a DT lately and groovin' the thicker line for mending/twitching. I'd love to find a great scandi-ish taper with an integrated runner that has a decent handling section to toss a good mend or two. Wondering if this fits the bill...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The running line is not what I would call thick, in fact it is pretty normal for a light line running line that said It is very supple and floats well and shot through the rings as well as expected. The day I fished it was quite blustery and I did not experience very many running line tangles. Over all I was very impressed with the taper and the running line. Being a supple line it was also very easy to handle, and a figure of eight retrieve was no problem.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Neil W, what's the running line like? Is it thicker (and easier to handle) than most "trout" running lines?

I've been using a DT lately and groovin' the thicker line for mending/twitching. I'd love to find a great scandi-ish taper with an integrated runner that has a decent handling section to toss a good mend or two. Wondering if this fits the bill...
Just read again and I would say it probably is a bit too thin to mend well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts