Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the new Abel Ace Reels? I sort of like the pics of them, not enough for me to change my plans for a couple new Hardy's though ..... (not that I need a new reel). :chuckle:

David

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Abel "Ace" reels

Funny, I have seen them in a few small ads in magazines but I just got the new 2006 catalog and order form & not even a mention of the reel. ? - Lawrence

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Abel ace reel may be a good or not so good reel; only time will tell. But for many of us that have been flyfishing for many years, the introduction of this product is saddening. Not because of the offering but for a more important reason. I suppose I own every catalogue/brochure Steve Abel has ever tuoted his product with. And if there was any message that was made very clear was that cork was the alpha and omega of drag materials, in spite of the fact that Charlton pioneered the use of carbon fibre with great success during those years. It was almost a " yer for me or agin me" kind of slant. Well take a look around, specifically focusing on the introduction of the "Ace", a Steve Abel reel with CARBON FIBRE! No explanations, no apologies, no reference to the countless excoriating comments made in advertizements etc. against alternative drag materials. Well I guess I was just another sucker for the persuasion of advertizing. It shouldn't feel so bad since I thought Steve believed this but I am saddened by this "quiet" introduction of a Abel carbon fibre reel to us faithfull. I suppose it's a tail between the legs kind of thing (the only explantion I can come up with). Don't get me wrong, I will not be getting rid of my Abel reels soon as they are a good product. But given this development they will be the last I will ever purchase.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
It ain't healthy to put that much faith in any company. When Abel started on rods, I recall their proud advertisement about how they ONLY do heavy duty salt rods, and if you want to toss for trout, get lost. Was it 1 or 2 years from that time, I can't recall, but enter the (drumroll please....) .... Abel trout rods! Its about money, and opportunities to make it. The Abel carbon fiber drag supposedly wasn't ready, and went to press before it was sufficiently tested, at least that's the official word. It'll be interesting to see if it ever sees the light of day. The decision will probably rest on one thing: $$$

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
after looking over the reels hard and discussing them with some forum members, i totally spaced that they were in fact carbon and not cork. thanks for the heads up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts