Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum but expect this topic is not new to regular users. Apologies if I am going over old ground. I have been fishing with a single hander for many years and am reasonably proficient. I've recently taken up spey casting and am not comfortable with my outfit despite lessons and time on the water (even catching the odd fish! For the record I am fishing for salmon in Europe and steelhead/salmon back home in BC). I am using a Sage 9140 9 wt with an 8/9/10 Rio Windcutter line. I am finding shooting the line very difficult and have had experienced ghillies/guides comment on how unweildy this set up feels to them (Should it?). Maybe it is just me or maybe I am overgunned - it certainly feels like the rod is loading heavy. Dunno. I'd appreciate any thoughts on lines for beginners or whether I should persevere with this line until I 'get it'. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Did Sage finish your rod or did someone else?

Beachcomber said:
I am new to this forum but expect this topic is not new to regular users. Apologies if I am going over old ground. I have been fishing with a single hander for many years and am reasonably proficient. I've recently taken up spey casting and am not comfortable with my outfit despite lessons and time on the water (even catching the odd fish! For the record I am fishing for salmon in Europe and steelhead/salmon back home in BC). I am using a Sage 9140 9 wt with an 8/9/10 Rio Windcutter line. I am finding shooting the line very difficult and have had experienced ghillies/guides comment on how unweildy this set up feels to them (Should it?). Maybe it is just me or maybe I am overgunned - it certainly feels like the rod is loading heavy. Dunno. I'd appreciate any thoughts on lines for beginners or whether I should persevere with this line until I 'get it'. Thanks.
Sometimes good rod finishers bulk up the factory blanks with different winding and material in the butt. The end result is often a rod that needs a heavier line to load.

My son has one of the original Sage 9140-3 with an original WC 8/9/10 with tips. He has used this combo for about 10 years and will never change unless the line decays from old age. He has caught large salmon, good sized steelhead, large trout and reel striping Shad with the rod.

Big bushy flyies past size 2 don't work well. Size 2 and 4 sinking flies cast well, and he can shoot 2-4 rod lengths of line with no problem wtih those flies. I have given him the tip compensator, the upgrade for tip two and a new 15' 9/10 fast sink tip. All work very well.

The Rio 15' steelhead leader improves the performance with the floating tip versus shorter leaders.

You may have a rod that was finished by a rod finisher and the end result is a :Eyecrazy: 10/11/12 rod or even higher.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your thoughts. I don't know if my rod has been bulked up or not. Will check as I got it from a friend. My guess is that it is my rubbish casting technique and not the line that is the issue. I'll try another line though to get a better feel for things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been fishing an old Sage 9140-4, graphite III, 7 oz. for two years and have had the same overloaded problem. My rod is too limber to handle the Airflo 9/10 delta or the 8/9 in my opinion. I have also tried an airflo skagit 8/9 and 7/8 and still feel it is overloaded. I used a cortland 25' 12 wt level at 360 grains, with the 110 grain tips from the delta 9/10 and that is not to bad. I am using now a 29.5' 411 grain orvis 12 Wt. shooting head cut back from 38'. As a beginner this fits my stroke the best. EBay is where I buy these lines to piece together.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Overload

Beachcomber,

If it is a multi-tip Windcutter, Make sure you don't have the floating section (tip 1) on,then your sinktip added to that. I made this mistake the first time I used a Windcutter Spey and was having a similar problem.

I have used the same rod you have and noticed it has a lot more bend into the butt section compared to my Sage 14' 9wt 3piece, It is what they call a "traditional action".

Henry

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Bingo!

"You may have a rod that was finished by a rod finisher and the end result is a 10/11/12 rod or even higher." Not too sure if the custom builder's efforts would change a given rod all that much, assuming he didn't go nuts with thread wraps. But that said:

I have both the 14 and 15 foot 9wt Sages with 'tip chucking systems' made up for me by Mark Backmann's shop in Welches. Don't know the 'cut back' points (off the top of my head) but he used the 10/11/12 as the base line for the 14 footer and the next one up for the 15' Sage.

As noted, I don't know the cut back point(s), but they ARE different back from the line tips. Suspect this had/has to do with the number of 'grains' he felt needed to cast heavy tips/flys with one vs. the other.

Fred

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Beachcomber...

If your Sage is a 4 piece I think you will find lines in the 7/8 class will make your rod a joy to cast. Two of my favorites are the Airflo Delta 7/8, or a MIdSpey 7/8. With lines in the 7/8 class the 9140-4 Sage has become one of my all time favorite rods.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your helpful comments. I think I need to go back and re-think this whole thing. To be honest I am somewhat taken aback by the complexity of the Windcutter line and the numerous sections woven together. It is a far cry form the simple trout lines I used on my home waters around BC and indeed on the chalk streams over here. The truth is I don't entirley understand the principle behind the line and don't think the literature that came with it adequately explains it. That said, it has a great reputation and is used by any number of very good fisherman so I can't 'blame it on Rio'.

My next trip is not for another month so I am going to take this outfit out on the heath and put it through its paces (again). Given the way the line stacks up and 'heaps' (sometimes) I do think it is overloaded. Your thoughts are very welcome. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts