Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I' m currently using a BIIX 14 8/9 with a 550gr Rio skagit line and 5 ft cheater. This is my Winter steelhead setup for Mainstem,South and Lower north Umpquas. I need to throw weighted flies and sinktips. The type 8 sinktip doesn't seem to sink fast enough , and worse, casts seem to pile on me too often. Now realizing my intermediate skills, would a longer length length of T 14without the cheater improve things? I havent yet tried a density compensator. Any experiences to improve this setup would be appreciated!

Kurt

·
Registered
640 Posts
change?

Your setup sounds fine. I don't think T-14 will solve your problem, as it has no taper and takes a little more positive energy to turn over. You don't mention how many grains your type 8 tip is, but the T-14 is likely heavier and thus harder to turn. Try taking out the 5' cheater, but watch that you don't pull your anchor. If that starts happening regularly, keep your rod tip lower when forming your D. When I pile a tip, I focus on a quality D-loop and compact stroke and things straighten out.

Good luck.

Carl

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
if the line piles when casting very heavy flies, but doesn't pile when casting standard flies, then it is possible (casting technique aside) that your type 8 tip simply lacks sufficient mass to turn over the really big stuff. With really big heavy flies, I find it helpful to use heavy tips, as T-14, or standard 12 wt (14 gr/ft) material. The heavier tips just transfer power better.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
I have that very rod/line set up and suggest you exchange the 5ft floating cheater for the 5ft intermediate (grey) cheater. But do not remove the cheater as that means that you have to "adjust" your stroke to not pull the anchor which in turn means you start to screw up royally (I know this first hand:hihi: ) The grey cheater will allow you the length you need to hold the anchor in the proper position and also help by sinking a bit to allow the tip more sinking "room". The other thing you may wish to change is to use a type 8 tip that has more grain weight. The tip will sink just as quickly and will have a bit more mass to carry the heavy fly over and straigthen out. I use a 10wt type 8 on my rod and this seems to work well for me. To get the fly to sink a bit deeper and a bit more quickly I over cast the target by about 5 to 10 ft. and immediately after it lands I pull it back the extra distance to the target and let the line slide back into the water toward the fly thereby allowing the fly to drop quickly through the water column. That little tip from Mark Bachmann has gotten me down near the rocks better than anything else.:smokin:

Regards,

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, replacing the floating cheater with the density compensated one made a huge difference. The only problem I'm having now is seeing the line the same...because of the gray color I'm setting too much anchor. Still, I'm working through that and improving....and as a crollary, I'm still not sold on skagit lines.

Kurt

·
Registered
445 Posts
Kurt,guess what!!

..................you don't have to be sold or like Skagit lines!! Not every one has to be a proponent of them. Not liking them is no big deal. Relax and go fishing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts