Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Steelherder
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking this might be a great rod for trout and dryfly work on Steelhead in my neck of the woods. Anyone have time for a mini review? Or should I just jump on a CND? Thanks in advance. -Dan

·
Banned
103 Posts
Dan - Do a search under Sage 6126 and you will find a slew of posts, many of them discussing the merits of the rod and including comparisons with the 5120, 7136, 7141, and CND rods, as well as others.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have owned the Sage 6126 for about two months.

It is a terrific rod! It will replace my 7136 and 7141 and Meise's 7/8 switch rod.

I can cast as far as with my 7146 with about 1/3 the effort. The WC 678 w/tips and the upgrade works really great. My favorite is the MS 7/8 with tips including the tip compensator. If the wind is over 20 mph, I will use the WC 678 with the upgrade and whatever tips are needed.

The rod can cast flies from size 20 to size 2 with barbell eyes with no problem. Yesterday I went to an area on the Napa River with zero clearance behind with brush up to 20' behind you and is only fishable after high tide. You can't wade, so the casts have to have a minimal D loop coming back. I was able to cast the head/belly of the line, a 12' furled leader, 2' of tippet and heavy eyed streamers size 2 with barbell eyes. I hammered Striper Schoolies in the first two hours after low tide. They gather at this spot because even spin casters can't cast there. I could roll cast my Meis 7/8 switch rod in this area, but I never could get out the 50 to 60+' where the schoolies stay. Yesterday, I dropped the streamer fly right in their feeding lanes.

The one drawback is that with the heavy Spey Lines and the rod's fish fighting ability, any fish from about 2 pounds under doesn't offer much of a fight. However, I can get them in quickly and released quickly with the 6126. Meise's 5/6 switch rod will still be my smaller trout rod. The problem with this rod is the WC 5/6 ain't much of a wind cutter in my hands.

You get a good battle with any trout over 2 pounds and the shad we have in our California Rivers. Still I get these fish in quickly and release them before they get harmed. I got shad in as fast and some times as fast my son did with his Sage 9140. He is a Cro Mag caster and was outcasting me about 15 to 20' distance wise. However, he had to set up his casts with an overhand cast with single or double spey and shoot about 20' of line. I had my fly in the water a lot more than he did with about half the effort or even less. In two trips with him, for the first time ever, he didn't hook and catch more shad than I did.

The 6126 casts all of my Rio, Air Flo, Teeny and Orvis 6 to 8 weight one handed lines with roll casts and overhead casts. I have gotten feedback that it is a great surf rod for the perch that we have in N California and SW Oregon. I look forward to a trip to the ocean to try it in the near future.

The 6126 will be my Spey rod from Spring to fall except for the Chinook runs in N California and SW Oregon. Spey Casting life is a lot more simple for me now. I take one rod, the 6126, the reel with the MS 7/8 and a spool with the WC 678 with the upgrade if the wind gets heavy. I use the tips from the MS 7/8 tip holder as they work well on the WC 678 with the upgrade. When I go to the ocean for surf fishing, only the WC 678 and the tips will be taken.

In my old hands, the 6126 is an awesome tool and a really fun/versatile/easy rod to use.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
I have Sage 6126, CND Custom 7/8 13’ and have spent time with Meiser 6/7 13’.
All these rod are nice; don’t make up your mind till you cast them all!
I can’t say much bad about any of these rods they all have there place. I like the feel of the Meiser and the CND a little more then the Sage that’s just a personal thing. Because I like skinny handle rod (and I did turn down the handle of the Sage). I should also say I fish short belly lines.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"I like the feel of the Meiser and the CND a little more then the Sage that’s just a personal thing. Because I like skinny handle rod (and I did turn down the handle of the Sage)."

It is amazing the difference between all of us. Bob Meiser turned down the oversized handles of my 7141 and ARC1409. I wear an X-large glove to go with my size 12 feet, and those rods with the factory handles hurt my hands and tired me. They don't now. However, the 6126 handle does not feel too big to me. I would like to have the handle smoothed a little more. Sage and Scott in the last few years have come out fairly rough handles. So I use the Sun Gloves with the leather palms and fingers to avoid blisters with all Spey Handles.

" I should also say I fish short belly lines."

This is interesting. I prefer the longer belly lines, and added the WC upgrade to my WC678 with tips. I didn't like the way it handled the regular short belly line. The WC upgrade with the WC678 performs very well for me. My favorite as noted above in my reply is the MS7/8 with tips.

As you noted all of the rods you mention are good rods. As spey fishers/casters we live in a great time with all of the good products available to us.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Dansomes...

Or should I just jump on a CND?
In my opinion you shouldn't buy any two hander/spey rod with out trying it in real world conditions.

I had a Sage 6126 here at the shop for a while. I thought it was a very nice and would be a good trout rod. I also think the CND Expert 1306 is a great trout rod but there are a great many people on this forum that think both rods are complete overkill for trout fishing. Please keep in mind that I've done 95% of my trout fishing over the years using an 8wt single hand rod.

If you get a hankering to test the Expert 1306 I can help you out. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"There are a great many people on this forum that think both rods are complete overkill for trout fishing."

Depends on the trout size and the water. If the trout are small, less than two pounds and in a small stream, all these rods would be too much. However, in most of my fishing areas, I feel anyone who uses a feather weight rod is a cruel person and kills a lot of fish with too light of a rod. Putah Creek, my closest trout water has huge trout that will rip the rod reel seats off of a Sage 4 weight or an Orvis 5 weight. With the high flows that happen in the summer time, there are times that a 7 or 8 weight and maybe my new 6126 will be under powered with a really big trout and the summer high water flows. I have seen people with big tippets shatter a good graphite rod when one of these trout suddenly turns across stream after being hooked.

"Please keep in mind that I've done 95% of my trout fishing over the years using an 8wt single hand rod."

It is obvious that you fish for big trout in probably big and fast water. In my one handed rod days, I learned very quickly that my 4, 5 and 6 weight one handed rods on the Deschutes in my hands were not powerful to catch the Redsides. My main rod for trout on there was my Sage 8, 9.5' RPL. My backup was a 7 wt Loomis rod that felt like a broom stick in my hands.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
HOwdy Grampa Spey...

It is obvious that you fish for big trout in probably big and fast water.
Actually the waters I fished with that rod ranged all the way from tiny creeks to big rivers, including some spring creeks, ponds, and large western lakes. That rod rode in the sleeper of every over the road truck I ever had. It was an 81/2' yellow Fenwick fiberglass blank that I bought in Stockton, CA for $11.??. With a series of heads from a 45'-floating 5wt to several densities of 30'-9wts it was a very versatile rod. It now resides in a place of honor on my shop wall as the top 2/3 of the "junkyard spey".

·
loco alto!
3,053 Posts
Grampa Spey said:
I wear an X-large glove to go with my size 12 feet.
hey Grampa - why are you wearing gloves on your feet? :hihi: just kidding, but it was a strange thing to read at first.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Grampa Spey

That what makes this BB so GOOD!
Different opinion on equipment.

Oh by the way on my size 14 feet I don't where any gloves.

:D

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"It was an 8 1/2' yellow Fenwick fiberglass blank"

I have a Heddon Pal, 8300, Mark I, 8'3". We gave it to my Dad in 1962 as a birthday present. My wife and I went back to Oklahoma, and the poor guy was using one of my left over metal rods that extended and went back to travel.

He was 65 at that time and got about 4-5 years of good fishing with it before old age and bad health caught up with him. His virgin trip with it, he caught several big large mouth bass and big perch with it, enough for a big fish fry for the family. I just stood and watched him grin, use and enjoy that rod on that trip. I ended up with the rod after he died. My oldest son used it for a while in highschool and at college. It is now like your rod, a memory show rod. Sometimes, I take it out in the back yard and try to swing it with my old shoulders. It felt so light when it was new, and so heavy now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts