Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to the Clave......I am just in the process of buying my first Spey rod and reel....An Orvis Trident 12'6" 8/9 weight rod and a Battenkill Large Arbour VI......I am new to Spey, however have been fly fishing now for in excess of 30 yrs.....I am what I would call a somewhat proficient caster and can easily throw a single hander 9/10 weight line about 70 feet....incl sink tips and loop on sinking heads......O should mention that I am planning on using 35lb. Gelspun for backing. I am planning on a floater for the first line......any recommendations are much appreciated.

Should I buy a floater or should I go with a multi tip set up....I have made up my own tips before for the Dean and had no problems...wondering if I should save my money and pass on the multi tip and make my own with the straight floater?

Sorry carried away with the questions...so much to learn ,so little time.

Thanks and best regards......Jake

·
Registered
439 Posts
Check and see what Simon says at the RIO Spey Line Info on the left side on the main screen. Look for your rod, what type of caster you are "A" or "B" and go from there. If you don't like or can't get RIO lines use the grain wt of the suggested line and shop for another line.
Good Luck,
Leroy.................

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speyrd

Thanks...great link...looks like Simon did a fair bit of homework to come up with so many recommendations....hope he had a hook on the end of the line while he was testing......

Thanks and best regards.....jake

1 - 3 of 3 Posts