Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the rod and and sinktip line so i am OK their but I need help buying a longger belly floater to.

I have a friend who will help me pick the right line weight so that isn't a problem. Can't cast more than 50 feet right now but i hope to have a line i can grow into. I want to be able to turn over bigass flies like small clouser, weighted buggers, and big hooks like 2/0 or maybe copper tubes in the future. Alot of the water I fish don't need sinktips as its slow and not to deep. I fish it now with a 10' rod and long leaders and weighted buggers. There's lots of water I can't reach now so I'm hoping the long belly will let me do that and still be able to mend

Whats a good long belly line for turning over big stuff on a long mono leader?

Bill

·
Registered
344 Posts
I bought a Nextcast line and it is unbelievable! The CND's are also awesome but not very long in the 6-8 wt range, the 9/10 is 75' and a killer line.

what rod and line are you using now?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loomis Deveron 14' for 8/9 line and a Delta 9/10. they told me to use a 9/10 line on the rod as it would load better for abeginner like me.

Nver heard of a nexcast, who makes it?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
"They" are right, for a beginner over-lining a rod makes it easier to cast - as it will properly load the rod with the shorter lengths that a beginner typically uses. However, you say you want to grow into your set-up, I am afraid that if you make any sort of improvements that you will "outgrow" the heavier line. In fact as you regularly cast more line you could actually endanger the health of you rod by aerializing too many grains for the rod :eek:

I suggest the 8/9 CND line, it has a 70' head which is a little longer than midspey (65') but not yet in the extreme long-belly range (which requires a good deal more skill to realize the benefits of say a 100' head). The 70' head is a good fishable line, it will cast short well and you can still reach out to 100'+ distances once tour skills progress.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use the 65' Carron for my heavier flies and sinking leaders. It's a GREAT line, and if you're just starting out it'll really help with the style points. Changed my game completly once I cut over from the clunkier mid-Spey style lines.

I find the 75' Carron has too fine a tip for the larger flies, but once you cast the 85' it'll crank over anything. Though, you have to be far enough along to be able to pick up that much line.

If I had a do-over with all my line purchases from the past 5 years I'd start with the 65' and go from there.

-Chris

·
Registered
638 Posts
For a floater the best one I ever tried for turning over big stuff was the original grandspey, it would turn over just about anything you knotted to your leader.They were however at the extreme end of the long belly line even by today's standards. There are some good midhead lines on the market that could be classified as long belly lines, you won't find the ones with a long fine front taper to be of much use for turning over the stuff you mentioned without a major adjustment in your casting stroke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the info.

too bad the 75 Carron tip is thin as thats the right length for me. Dont think i would ever cast more than that to cover where i fish. Looks like the choice is a carron 65 or a long delat. Dont like to strip lline as an industrial accidnet left me with a weaker left arm so it gets tired easily from to much striping.

would a carron 85 be OK if I never used the full elngth and only cast 60 or 70? i was told my reel is big enough for a long belly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts