Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Ross Reach from STP and need to put lines on my reel. I have 3 spools, and I know I will put either a RIO Switch 6/7 or a Switch Chucker on one spool.
For the second spool I was wondering if this system would work in the 400 grain size? http://www.orvis.com/p/rio-skagit-flight-versitip-system/7h58

I know a lot of guys have these rods and seem to like them and I am excited to get rigged up and practicing so I might be ready for an April trip to the Salmon River. I appreciate any responses or suggestions.
Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
124 Posts
I fish a Skagit Extreme 480 on my 7 weight, and have cast a 450 on it also, and they both work well, so that should be in the right neighborhood

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have that rod and use a 350gr steelhead scandi I cut down to 28.5' so its probably like 330. I like it a lot. Probably a tad on the light side for the salmon river if the water is up.

·
slipped away to grey...
739 Posts
I have a proto-type of the new SA Adapt Switch line that is basically the same taper as the factory line being sold, but it is 380 grains instead of 360 grains or 400 grains as they are sold, I have used this line on that exact same rod many many times and it is really nice, but just a wee bit heavy for my taste...

The 360 grain SA Adapt Switch that you can buy at stores is perfect for that rod and because of the textured back portion of the head, you can hear when you strip back in far enough to recast, makes it very nice for mousing at night...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts