Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need line help for 11 foot 6 weight

I need some spey line help with a G Loomis 11 foot 6 weight rod. I will be fishing for pink salmon and trout in about 4/5 feet of water.
Is a scandi or skaget line better. What grain weight for this rod. I thing I wanted the new integrated lines. What kind of tips. The fish will weight 4 to 5 pounds. Thanks

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Scandi and Skagit lines are just shooting heads and the biggest difference is the leader length which influence casting and fishing. Scandi casts smoother line loops because its weight decrease smoothly. Same weight and length Scandi casts bit farther although a short leader is used. Lengthening the leader is easiest trick to incease casting distance but then there come more limit to fly size. Spey casting can be SA and T&G for both.

Esa

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Wulff Ambush is very good for Spey casting because it has good taper and there comes more weight to the top of the D-loop. It is available as integrated WF. Then few tips and you can fish many conditions. I like tapered tips because they cast bit smoother and land to water quieter but level tapers are used a lot and fish don't care. What comes to line weight for your rod I can not help.

Esa

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I too like the Ambush for short two-hand AND single-hand rods. They are short and relatively heavy so casting those is about as easy as it gets. I've had good results matching the Ambush to the rod: A 6WF for a 6WT for both over head and anchored casts.

Rio Single Hand Speyline is one other slightly longer line that is better for futher distance where the Ambush tops off.

Have a look at Airflo Switch and the various single hand lines they offer. Many of them are based on the "Delta" taper which has proven itself perfectly suitable to this--- all depending on the length of body that is desired. And don't leave out the saltwater lines either.

All in all... You've got options galore.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you are using your rod for Pinks and Sea Runs on the Beach, go with a intergrated Switch Line, so you can strip right in to the polyleader. My favorite switch line is the Snowbee, and is on of the most popular lines on Vancouver island for those targeting pinks on the beach with switch rods. On the beach I use a clear intermediate polyleader if fish are out deeper and a clear float if in close.

I really like my Airflo Rage in the river with my switch, which is a between a Skagit and Scandi. the Rage can handle all polyleaders and have even used T8 with a lighter fly.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were do you buy Wulff Ambush line and what grain weight do you suggest for 11 foot 6 weight? What kind of tips? I will be fishing rivers in no more than 5 foot of water. I will be throwing small streamers like woolie buggers size 6 etc. Is that wulff ambush a skaget or scandi line. What grain weight head? Thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
Try the airflo switch floating line it’s a great alround line in my opinion and also integrated so no annoying loop to loops if you are retrieving. It goes up to a 390g which should be ok for most 6 was.
It casts well over head 2 and I fish it with 10ft salmon poly leaders, just another option.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I’ll make it easy for you; at that size rod, for that application, in that water depth, just get an OPST Commando or Airflo Skagit Scout. I use 360gr and use T-8 cut at 7’.

You’ll be happy!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just went through the same exercise and concluded that the Airflo Rage Compact head was the solution. It is designed as a floater, but can handle sinking polyleaders if conditions warrant. For my 6 weight switch I went with the 390 gr.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Try the Airflo Delta Spey Multi Tip Line. I have had good luck with that line on my Medium Fast action rods while fishing for Chinook and Coho on the Salmon River in upstate NY when the water is low and slow. I have been able to turn over huge egg sucking bunny leeches, cone head wooly buggers and then egg patterns, with a large strike indicator and some non-lead split shot on a 9’ Rio Steelhead/Atlantic Salmon leader. I was using the floating tip with the egg pattern rigs and would switch between the floating tip, the intermediate and slow sinking tip for the streamer patterns depending on the width and depth of the area I was swinging flies at. Hope this helps you out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts