Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have Rio tips and i don't remember what the type 3 and type 6 colors are. One is yellow and one is green. I know the type 8 is gray.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Voodoofly...

Mr. Gunn is correct on the type 3, but according to my Rio catalog type 6 is gray with type 8 being green.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I thought that the 6 was grey but was not 100% sure to post here and argue with a Voodoo man

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
The problems of manufacturing!

Nowadays, all type 3 tips have yellow loops, all type 6 have gray loops and all type 8 have green loops. We used to make type 8 tips with clear loops but that is old hat now.

If in doubt, check the diameter as the thinner the body section of the tip is, the faster it sinks. The type 3 will be thicker than the type 6, which will be thicker than the type 8. That's how we get them to sink at different speeds and weigh the same.

I hope this helps, somewhat!

All the best
Simon

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks Speybro, I have a bunch of older rio tips. I ended up coiling them up and dropping them in the clear river and seeing how long it takes to sink to the bottom. I know there have been many changes over the years. I have an older yellow one that I am sure was a type 6. One more question for Speybro. Does a type 6 8wt. and a 10 wt. sink at the same rate? Jerry

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the replies

After my original post I went searching because I remember reading the color codes somewhere. Sure enough, it was in the Rio 2004 catalog pdf.

My home river has still been running high and colored. My last outing I broke off near the nail knot and I changed over to the gray colored tip. It got down faster than the yellow tip I was using. Or, at least I thought it did. It was hard to tell in the off colored water.

I've been after smallies with my new Meiser 13' 6/7 and Rio Midspey 6/7. This has been a great combo for fishing. I've been able to feel every pick-up, from the subtle tap to the aggresive slams.

Gary

P.S. I wrote the color codes on the tip pouch in permanent marker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts