Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting out to learn to tie classic salmon fly and decided to invest in a Jungle Cock neck. I received it in the mail a few days ago but was rather disappointed that about 80% of the nails were "split" (see photo below). Is this normal for a neck? Is there any way to repair the "split"? I tried to rejoin them like "marrying wings" but that did not work. There are less than 20% of the nails usable as it is... :( Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,694 Posts
DID You

Purchase through PP and have a pic of a non tattered neck, what was the price and description

Sorry to hear your plight... You can repair nais with a light coat of laquer...

Labbourus with that many You tube will show you

If you paid for a high quality neck and received garbage please share the seller

Again sorry to hear

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
In my area, a prime JC neck with minimal splits and nice color sells for $150.

Yours can be repaired and will make fine fishing flies.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,694 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
honestly if you are just starting and planning to fish what you tie I really wouldnt worry about split nails, trust me you are going to have many other difficulties coming up that will be much more crucial to learn! Its hard to say but I doubt I have ever had a fish turn back last second because of a split nail

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I use split nails all the time, as I only tie for fishing. They are going to get split wince they swing for awhile, but just like the other feathers, if the fly is well tied, it all flows together and makes a nice presentation.

If you run the back side of your feather over your dubbing wax, then slide it through a gently pinched finger and thumb, it will often join up enough to get you through the tying.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think for $50 you got a cape that reflects that price. They usually go for much more for a decent cape. However, if the seller posted a pic other than the cape that was sold to you, its a dishonest sale. Like others have posted, the feathers can be fixed.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I would NOT try and repair those nails . That cape has really nice colouration .The white near the stem really pops out the brown at the tip of the nails. It looks like the split doesn't extend down through that white portion .
If that's the case you have a VERY usable nail. Tye in the JC below where the split starts and you'll see that the JC will sit nicely sit there in position .It would also"pulse" nicely with movement through the water . A repaired JC nail won't do this and IMHO is part of putting JC cheeks on a fly .The other attractiveness is the colour ,which your cape does have . Of course if you AREtying for "hang on the all " flies ,do indeed repair them

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advise. I stopped thinking about the JC cape and started tying...:chuckle:

Here is a noob's first attempt at salmon fly tying. In case you can't tell the pattern from the photo (entirely possible due to my poor tying and poor proportion), the top one is a hair wing Silver Doctor while the bottom one is a "sort of" Durham Ranger. What I discovered was that setting the top Golden Pheasant Crest was probably the most challenging task! Had to resort to UV cement to get it to stay in the correct position. Any tips to get that right with just tying thread? Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts