Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Meiser, hardy, burkheimer, Canada fishing reels
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went fishing yesterday and grabbed a rod I hadn’t used in a while with my hardy cascapedia on it and the line and leader were reeled up and I went to pull the leader out to start lining the rod and the leader was stuck in between the frame and the spool. So I pulled and got it out and the spool started free spooling. Has their reel ever started fteespool on them?

· Broken Down Spey Freak
Bamboo and Meiser
3,732 Posts
A guess, by pulling on the line it may have caught the pawl and flipped it off the gear. Does the drag still work? I'm not familiar with the working of a Cascapedia.

· Registered
242 Posts
I've had this happen on the river on a super cold day. Different winch, but similar thing happened - the pawl had exploded, and I could hear the pieces shaking around inside. Not sure about the drag system on the Cascapedia or where you should look since Archuleta is on hiatus.

· Premium Member
148 Posts
I’ve had a similar thing happen on the cascapedia, you probably have a small piece of mono gumming up the works (tolerances inside are very generous, really too generous). Using a proper fitting screwdriver, remove the four small screws on the winding side and pull the spool, leaving the handle screw alone. This should reveal the problem and allow removal of the offending piece of mono. For whatever reason it happens to me on the 10/11 a couple of times a year, PITA, and consequently I don’t use that reel much any more!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts