Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have tpo travel way too far and spend too much to have only one egg in my basket to go steelheading.

Have the the dry line sorted with a 6.5 DHII set up on a Delta Spet II and 10' Polys

Just pick up a 7 wt switch that comes in at 10'3" curious on what line configurations I should start looking at to throw heavier flies and weighted tips for subsurface heavy flow situation to keep me fishing instead of casting practice.

·
Registered
401 Posts
For me heavy tips & flies on short rods = short, high grains per foot lines. Look at the heads in the 20' range that have the weight needed to launch T-whatever and weighted flies. As an example I use a 540 Skagit Switch 20' head on a TCX 8119.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A Skagit head from Rio or SA or Airflo, a short or compact or whatever company you pick calls it, will be best with the shorter switch rod. The Rio MOW tips are convenient, all being the same length. That being said, making your own tips with level T material is quite simple and much less expensive. You can fold over the ends and throw a couple nail knots on to form loops or use the braided loops to make tips in whatever length and density that you want. The Rio line selection table is a decent place to start for lining the rod, but I'm sure that someone on here will be able to help too

·
Registered
35 Posts
rod length vs head length

10'3" is pretty short--a foot and a half shorter than the TCX 8119 Marcel mentioned . A regular Skagit line will likely be too long for your rod. The Airflo Skagit Switch is probably the closest match in factory produced head to launch heavy tips and flies with a switch rod at the moment. They come in lengths of 19.5' or 20' for a 7 weight. Though that's pretty short, you might still find them to be a little long for your rod as your rod is on the short end of the switch rod spectrum and the line manufacturers were aiming for the middle of the spectrum as far as rod length when they designed their heads.

OPST will soon be coming out with shorter, high grain per foot heads designed for switch rods which just might set the new standard for switch rod heads. I heard they might be available in a month or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts