Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to ask some of the members here that have experience welding splicing lines. my 4 year old son got carry away with my scissors and chap one of my CND spey lines that I had hanging on the wall... yes OUCH:mad::mad:is there any way to repair this line I know this is not the best material to weld .and is very hard to get a needle thru the core .is this possible ,thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
Line repair

Ouch is right!
An older PVC line is for sure not the best candidate for welding.
Where exactly is the cut?
I think an epoxy type splice- core inside core- is probably your best fix.
You need a good pin vise, the right size needle, WITH THE POINT ROUNDED OFF ON A FINE WHETSTONE, some unwaxed dental floss, either epoxy or flexible superglue, some acetone, and patience / persistence. Unless the GPS lines have something other than a hollow braid core, it will be doable.
I hope I'm not telling you a bunch of stuff you already know here.
Good luck with the repair.
PM me here if you have any questions.

Chris

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Ouch!

But completely repairable and easy to do. If you are using a regular swing needle try pushing it into the core using hemostats. The further into the core the better - but half inch is enough.

Of course - you are using the needle to thread a strand of kevlar or similar thread into the core, and you'll use the thread to pull the core of the piece you are splicing into the line. Spiderwire or similar will work also...

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. I can´t really understand why an ordinary welding splice wouldn´t do. Old line?? The oldest line I´ve done was a Wet Cel II, from the late 70´s. 35 years old. Sure, it was a snap crackle pop experience, but it was fishable no doubt. Yours borano20

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for your answers guys .I will take all this good advice and start working on it .Chris the line was cut 15 ft above the loop . it seems like a core to core will be the strongest fix . thanks to all for your help .I will post my success or failure :hihi:

·
Registered
179 Posts
No problem splicing these lines. The splice is to be done under the coating by entering through a small hole in the coating on each line. I use an thin doubled guitar string as tool for pulling cores into each other. This functions better than the splicing needles. Splice length is 1/2 inch each side, glue is only needed to fill the two holes in the coating and where the coatings meet so the line does not soak water. I use Locktite 406 super glue (for rubber and plastic). You lose approx 4' of line length by splicing, the splice is stronger than the line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts