Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there....I recently picked up a Beulah 8wt switch rod from another fellow member. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which reel to go with. I tried my Hardy Bougle 4" on it but it just felt way too heavy on it.
I'm fine going modern or classic style. Just want something that balances it well. Any thoughts, recommendations? Looking at something around $450+/-. Plus also any line choices? Was thinking Royal wulff ambush or Rio switch Chucker.T.I.A

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,080 Posts
Look at the Orvis Battenkill IV

Should be a good match for your rod. Also consider a Hardy Marquis 1. On the modern side, Lamson has good reels; I like the Velocity 4 (no longer made, but available used). It is light, has a good drag, and room for backing, running line and head. PM me if you are interested in the V4, we could work out a deal.

·
Undertaker
1,367 Posts
too little information

Do you prefer modern drag reels or old clickers? Sealed drag? My favorite modern sealed drag reels for my switch rods are the old Ross Gunnison (IV or V), a nice Ryall 10, or a Teton Tioga 10. These are foolproof, sealed drag reels that simply work great and are well within your budget. Unfortunately, I believe they are all currently out of production and you would have to find one used. Worth the hunt in my opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer the look of the classic clickers on the Beulah but was thinking that of fishing smaller coastal rivers. Something with drag might be more suitable?
I had the Marquis 2 before and it's a nice reel but looking at something else by Hardy in the same size as the salmon Marquis 1. It seems the Duchess 3 1/4 is too small. For modern reels, I was looking at the Galvan 10, Sage Domain 10, or similar..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone have or tried the Speyco switch reels? Is it heavy? I used to have the Speyco Skagit and it was nice on my 13'3" spey rod but after awhile it started feeling a little heavier than I like

·
Registered
823 Posts
I used a Ross Momentum LT 5 on the Meiser 11'7 678 I took to the Skeena a few years back. It had the capacity and drag to handle any fish, and also weighed only 8.75oz or so empty. It balanced well with that rod, so I'd assume it would with your rod also.
List is slightly over your price bracket, but I suppose a second hand one would come in your range.
S

·
Registered
187 Posts
reel

a lamson guru 4 might match up with your rod; i use one on my beulah platinum spey 7 wt and it does the job on the steelhead and kings I've played with.

relatively light. lots of room. sealed drag. i think new they run about $269, so you'd have the funds left over for an extra spool in your original budget.

good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Garthman, I've had the guru 4 before on an old Echo tr 7wt. It's a nice reel but I think it "looks" more suitable to a spey rod than a switch rod.
If anything, I'd prefer a reel smaller than 4"..that's just my personal opinion. That'll for sure hold al thel line I need. I'll look into the Bauer, haven't tried those before and heard good things about them. I'm trying to think of some classic style reels but with drag....lol

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I would go with the Hardly Marquis Salmon 1 or look for a used old SA System 10 - essentially the same reel

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Had a Galvan torque years ago and got rid of it, the drag system did not like cold wet steelhead seasons. I was fishing the Dean and the drag would free spool, catch , free spool ,catch. Not something you want to happen with those hot fish! Sent it back and Bonnie said he fixed it, happend again and ended up using it for a boat anchor for my float tube!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
David123 SGS lines? I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that brand. Where can I purchase or get more info? Website pls...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts