Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I need a light and relatively quick rod with the following specifications. I would appreciate if you have any recommendations. Your personal anecdotes or experience are most welcome.

Length: 14' to 14'6"
Line WT: true 7wt or 8wt (do not want a 8wt that behaves like a 9wt. Will also consider 6/7wt or 7/8 wt)
Price: lower the better
action: relatively deep flex with quick recovery
line choice for this rod: would like to use NextCast Winter Authority 55 or longer and Ballistic Vector or Older Delta Long

thanks for your help,

rw.

·
flailing less
490 Posts
Some folks don't necessarily think of "quick recovery" rods in the same sentence with "long belly lines" (the original Echo DH rods in your length were designed for Delta longs), but I'm no expert that's for sure. PM sent anyway...

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
A CFB 7141-4 blank would fit the bill nicely. You mention a true seven weight: The FF 5/6 and the Delta Long 6/7 are two nice lines on there. The FF is 460 grains and the DL is approx. 510 at 55 feet. It is a 7 weight rod.

With components of your choosing it can done for a fraction of the standard Classic-build and the blank will have the same CFB warranty for life...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Cfb 7141-4

The CFB 7141-4 is a superb casting rod,the Airflo Delta Long 6/7 is absolute(and I'm not exaggerating)....simply magic on this rod...the guys at Burkheimer must have used the Delta long 6/7 when they designed the 7141-4. This rod and line combo take effortless and tight loops to a entirely different level!!!!

Cheers,

WB.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
8142 burkie is also very nice. just picked up a rio mid spey that wants to sing(need more practice). very nice w/ 510 scandi and nextcast also

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Give Steve Godshall a call!

When it comes to rods, with the perfect matched line(s), I don't even ask 'How much' anymore. Just put in an order for a full on 4wt. :smokin: Steve's best known for his lines, but guy builds one hell of a rod to go with.

fae

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,266 Posts
a 9140 brownie in the right hands will do the job very inexpensively.
How would you rate your casting skills if 0= a total newb and 10= a comp caster?
Second question, how would your fishing buddies rate you on the same scale?

Third question, are you after smooth casts and good line control or big distance?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"How would you rate your casting skills if 0= a total newb and 10= a comp caster?
Second question, how would your fishing buddies rate you on the same scale?

Third question, are you after smooth casts and good line control or big distance?"

Hi there,
good questions. following is my heavily biased opinion.

with shooting head lines (skagit and scandi) i am a 6 or 7. with a Ballistic Express, I can do whatever I need to do. no problem.

I fish by myself. so, no opinionated fishing buddies here. if you ask my dog, he would say I am the best caster in the world.

I am after smooth casts. More importantly fishable casts. No showmanship. Also, I never fill the urge to hit the rocks on the opposite bank. I like smooth transition of power. I want my casts to sing, not growl.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A CFB 7141-4 blank would fit the bill nicely. You mention a true seven weight: The FF 5/6 and the Delta Long 6/7 are two nice lines on there. The FF is 460 grains and the DL is approx. 510 at 55 feet. It is a 7 weight rod.

With components of your choosing it can done for a fraction of the standard Classic-build and the blank will have the same CFB warranty for life...
do you have a ball park idea how much this might cost. or, better yet, if you built one yourself, how much did it cost you?

thank you,

rw.

·
loco alto!
3,121 Posts
I will give the obvious "second" or "third" to those who have recommended the Burkheimers above. I started out building on Burkheimer blanks myself. These are not the only rods on the market (!), but both are true to their ratings, very smooth even flex, no mush, and recover crisp and clean. The 7141 (being a long 7 wt) has a more dryline finesse feel, casts easy with little effort, not slow mushy, just less meaty power in a crisp feel. The 8142 has great reserve power and lets you push without holding back. It sounds like you are not interested in the "other side" casts, so the 7141 would probably do it. It is really a fantastic rod. I'll also add that "long and light" rods are where higher end materials and layups are at their finest, so regardless of brand you choose, these configurations are really where it pays to pay a little more.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll also add that "long and light" rods are where higher end materials and layups are at their finest, so regardless of brand you choose, these configurations are really where it pays to pay a little more.
I had a similar understanding. That is why I am hesitating the build your own idea. Casue, with my first time builder skills, I may not be able to do due justice to quality rod blanks like the Burkheimer. However, i can not afford a true burkie at this point.

·
loco alto!
3,121 Posts
if you can tie flies, then you can wrap rods - easy

cork is harder. I was used to building single handers, but not the long grips of two-handers, so my first 3 Burkheimer rods came with completed grips and I finished the wraps (at my request). Meiser is known for this. Other makers will do it, too.

happy fishing!

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
do you have a ball park idea how much this might cost. or, better yet, if you built one yourself, how much did it cost you?

thank you,

rw.
A nice set of Pac-Bay SIC stripping and snake guides, A-grade cork, an 18HG Struble seat (are still available) plus silver-nickle winding check can run from $80-$120. Components like agate, a seat with wood insert or wood insets in the handle and any other luxuries you may want will go up from there. I had many of the other supplies and tools from assemblies prior to the 7141. But mine alone totaled just under $600 (450 blank + 100 components + shipping (from CFB and from Anglers Workshop.)) The epoxy, the tools, thread and rod finish would also have to be taken into account.

Like SSpey mentions, the assembly is easy and the rod would be best configured in a certain way. The guide spacing will be provided and the spine should be marked on the blank. A down-locking seat and 5-5.5" lower handle configuration will balance with a lighter reel versus up-locking and with a longer lower handle. Im guessing 14-14.5'' upper handle is the standard for a 14', and what I built on mine. That's ~ 24 inches from winding-check to butt-cap and it provides a nice wide grip better for casting extended bellies.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,266 Posts
At a lower price point, there's a TFO Deer Creek 14' 7/8, or find a used Meiser Highlander Classic or MKS for a little more, or just keep an eye on the classifieds and fleabay. Good deals come up all the time! LeCies, Stingers, Dredgers, and older Sage models can be had for a very good price, and even though they're not the "latest and greatest" they're all kickass sticks.

For longer bellies, you may find a wider selection of lines are in the 7/8 category than the 6/7 category. And you might be grateful when the breeze comes up;) with a 7/8.
Longer bellies in a breeze is very different, if you're used to short heads.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I am exploring the options, I have come across some decent options. Now, I have not test cast some of these rods, so, would greatly appreciate your feedback on them. As I am trying to stay low cost, I am considering the following options. Please let me now what you think about these rods as good candidate for a mid belly line rods (Delta long 7/8 or Nextcast Winterauthority 55 7/8).

Winston VSL 14' 8/9wt

Scott T2H 14'6" 8wt

Scott LS2 14' 8WT

TFO DC 14' 7/8wt

Winston BIIX 14' 8/9WT

thanks for your help.

rw

1 - 18 of 18 Posts