Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a fit of (insanity, stupidity, curiosity or "you pick it") I bought a very fine example of this old rod at a bargain basement price. I'm not sure why. Anyway, I don't have a longer line for this purchase. Anyone have any ideas about a line that would be more or less matched to the rod and is available in today's marketplace? Or if I need to find an older line, what would work with this rod. Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
2,534 Posts
That's a super rod and very versatile to boot. I've owned most of that series and at the time I lined my 9140iiie with a Nextcast FF or WA in 8/9 or 9/10. The Gaelforce lines will match with it very well also. Reach out to Poppy at the Red Shed and he'll point you in the right direction. Poppy is a fan of the early Sage rods as well.

·
loco alto!
3,269 Posts
Yes, try it. The MKS are strong rods for rating and the 9140 is soft for its rating. The line could be a good match. I wouldn’t recommend the FF70 on a 14’ rod as a practical fishing line, it is more of a “make sure you do everything perfectly every time” line on a 14’ rod

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also just picked up a 9140-4 IIIe and a 9141-4 IV at rock bottom prices at my local tackle swap. I agree with SSPey that the 9140 IIIe is soft for it's rating. It seems closer to an 8-weight to me. I'm struggling to like it so far to be honest, which is a shame because I love it's little brother the 8136 IIIe. I like the 9141 IV a lot better (much stiffer and faster action), but it's more of a 9/10 weight!

·
loco alto!
3,269 Posts
Both the 8136 and 9140 IIIe were classified as “Sage Traditional” rods, but interesting backstory on that from Al Buhr … the 8136 prototypes were headed for the faster “Euro” family design, but then Sage softened the upper/mid-section and released it as “Traditional” rod instead. It is definitely faster than the other Sage Traditional rods of that era, but not too much, IMO the best of the bunch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts