Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone on here can give me a few ideas about reels that might solve my problem. I got a 4 wt speydicator line for my Echo sr 3wt switch. Based on my initial experiments with this rod this line with should be close to a good fit for me in head weight. If not I may splice out a few feet of the head until it feels best.

The problem is that the rod balances nicely with around a 5 oz reel. I think 6 would be fine but 8 is probably way too much. I have an 8 wt speydicator in use on another rod, so I was aware I probably was not going to fit this line on my large arbor reels. The line (with no backing), fills a 3.5" diameter spool, 1" wide with an inner radius of 1" about perfectly. That spool is labeled as a 6/7/8 for regular fly lines. The other spey type lines I have been happy with fit pretty well on a large arbor 4/5/6 reel - they don't have a ton of room for backing, but plenty for the intended use.I'd still like to have a small but reasonable amount of backing in addition to the speydicator, which doesn't fit at all on the 4/5/6 LAs. So I need to find a reel bigger than the 3.5" MA that is Ideally less than 6 oz. I'm thinking a Mid arbor reel probably labeled as 7 or 8 is what I need.

I'm open to any suggestions - disk drag or pawl, modern, classic or or alien origins. So far ideas I've got are limited - the Orvis Access V (5.9 oz), and the Echo 6/7 (5 -ish oz). Possibly the Echo 8/9 but I can't find the weight on that one. I'm sure there are others. Let me know if you have any ideas.

I did think of possibly replacing the running line part of the speydicator with something thinner, and I still might, but the main problem is the long mending part of the line, which is the whole reason for getting it IMO, so doesn't seem like there is an obvious easy hack. I really DO want the lightest reel possible on this rod.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Have a look at the danielsson F3W 7/10 it weighs just over 6 oz it shoul have the capacity your looking it also has one of the best drag systems on the market .
Hope this helps
Tyler

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll take a look. Also, looks like the Ross Evolution LT #4 is another.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You might try the Galvan Torque series and Nautilus makes some super light reels that aren't too expensive.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,079 Posts
Check out the Lamson line

Especially the Litespeed 4.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the Nautilus FWX ( I have a 5/6) but none of their reels I think have the volume I need for 6 oz or less. Its the uber-large arbors.

Hum..the litespeed 4 is too heavy (over 8 oz) but the 3.5 - especially the 3.5X might be the ticket here. Those are super wide - nice! (edit, oh maybe I misunderstood the '4' there, if you mean 'IV', size 3.5) Does anyone know what the X stands for? I am looking at a table and the X has more volume while at the same time being slightly lighter (with all the other shown dimensions being the same). Must mean that the inner diameter is a bit smaller, so maybe a bit less material and a lot more backing. Anyone know if that guess is right?

On the other hand ... sanity might dictate getting a hulking $50 reel and either just accepting the imbalance or hanging some weights in front of the reel.

Yeah...sanity never seemed so unappealing. :-0

·
btree
270 Posts
Just had a look at the Hardy site. Lots of options.

Their Ultralite DD models nearly all come in around 5-6oz. in sizes that would likely work for you. The bigger sizes are over that, but I think the 7000DD comes in at about 5.5oz and can take up to an 8wt DT line with still enough room for a modest amount of backing.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Hum..the litespeed 4 is too heavy (over 8 oz) but the 3.5 - especially the 3.5X might be the ticket here. Those are super wide - nice! (edit, oh maybe I misunderstood the '4' there, if you mean 'IV', size 3.5) Does anyone know what the X stands for? I am looking at a table and the X has more volume while at the same time being slightly lighter (with all the other shown dimensions being the same). Must mean that the inner diameter is a bit smaller, so maybe a bit less material and a lot more backing. Anyone know if that guess is right?
More or less right. The 3.5X spools fit the 3.5 frames but are cut a little different (they have a funky notch) to add slightly more capacity. I have used them on a 5-wt switch.

The LS4 is way too big for a 3wt switch.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This turned out to be great advice. When I got the exact specs for the 3X that even smaller one looks perfect. Think I'm going to pick up one of the older discontinued 3X Lightspeeds on ebay. Its a fraction of an oz lighter that my way-to-small clearwater II that felt perfectly balanced on the ECHO SR 3106 for me, but it may end up a little bit heavier with the extra backing and the spedicator.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
you could also chop off a good bit of running line, on a 3 wt rod I kinda doubt you really need 120' of line plus all your backing. Those are 120' right? if you chopped 25' you just gained 25% capacity on your reel. another option

1 - 10 of 10 Posts