Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I new to this site, I got it from another fly fishing site I frequent. I'm pretty new to spey fishing and built 1 ultra light rod so far and just got a deal on a 14' 8wt FLI Sage blank and would like some help on Guides and spacing any help would be great

Thanks T

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I built my 7141 and 6126 a few years ago, I noticed that Sage recommended ten guides for both of them, so thats how many I used. Now, however, I see most newer spey rods with more than ten, whatever their lengths. Seems to me that more would be better for shooting line and that fewer guides is maybe a holdover from when spey casting didn't involve shooting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
eSRods, I think that rule of thumb applies more to one-handed rods; 15 guides on a 14' spey rod would make it pretty tip heavy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guide spacing

I got the spacing from Sage for A 14' 9wt TCR. How double ft and how many stripping guides would you suggest. There are 12 guides. I was was thinking the last 2 would be stripping guide and the tip of course. Input please

·
Registered
320 Posts
Re : Sage guide spacing . I find it curious that Sage recommends 12 guides (plus tip-top) for the TCR 14 FT rod , yet they suggest 10 guides for the 14FT. VT2 , and traditional rods . Does anybody know the reasoning behind this ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Foamyboatman, I also noticed another curious thing. When I measured the guide spacings on a factory 7141, they were completely different than what Sage recommended on their web site.

eSRods, 11 guides is probaby about right for your rod. There is obviously more than one right way to do this, like with most things.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mark Ward said:
I also noticed another curious thing. When I measured the guide spacings on a factory 7141, they were completely different than what Sage recommended on their web site.
The same thing happened to me . I bought a VT2 single hand blank , and got the spacing chart from Sage via email , as the VT2 specs weren`t yet listed on their site . After I finished rolling the rod , I had a chance to compare it to a factory rod . It wasn`t even close . I`m not going to rewrap the rod though , I like it just the way it is .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guide makes??

Another question that I'll put forth is what make of guides would you recommend? The last one I did I went with Fuji SiC. Do to the fact that most of the Spey type fishing that I've done is in the fall winter and spring and icing up is a factor. Any input is greatly helpful
Later T

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
I use both SIC's and snakes . The SIC's are a little better but not by much . I've found to avoid stripping in line greatly reduces ice up . A modified roll-cast is all that is needed to start the next swing once the desired length of line is had . A 14' to 15' rod matched with a salmon DT , long leader and a tube works well !!

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whats a wind check?

I see wind checks in with hook keepers what is a how do they work. I'm going all out on this rod

·
Registered
34 Posts
After you put theupper grip on, just slide the winding check down the blank and lodge it against the grip - no glue needed. Its purely cosmetic to cover any gap between blank and grip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts