Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The situation: Today, my brother and his son hooked two steelhead on the Bogasheil River downstream from the hatchery. In addition, they saw one king salmon. After losing a chromer, my brother swung an orange bomber, only because he didn't know any better, didn't know that spring steelhead on the Olympic Peninsula don't rise to flies, and then a fish pulled the fly under. He struck and didn't hook up, but says the fish felt big. He's going to call me for advice later this evening. He wants me to tell him if it was a one in a million chance that he rose a steelhead to the surface, or maybe even if it was a king and not a steelhead. He wants to know if he should keep swinging the dry. What should I tell him, based on your experience with spring fish rising or not rising to dry flies? Thanks. Keith

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,497 Posts
Not one in a million but he might die before he gets another. If it was a between Salmon and steelhead, it was likely the latter. I would guess the Bogey has some Dollie Varden or bull trout swimming as well so that is another option.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
With the low warmer water I would not be to surprised, 10mil to1 it was a king so my gut says steel. It would be unlikely to raise another, but better to be skunked with a floater then with a sunk fly!!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
as everyone says it is possible ..winter will rise to a dry but not often..more often when transitioning from salt to fresh..they can be very aggressive. Chinook will also come to a dry but again very rarely
..landed a small Chinook last fall with a big bomber fishing Trout
C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts