Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my winter project I want to build a light spey rod for trout on the Yakima river. It's main use would be for two-handed tosses of streamers, hoppers, heavy nymphs. I tried out my CND 1307 a few weeks ago and even though the river was still quite high I couldn’t help but feel I had way too much rod. Boy, I could sure pop those streamers out there though.

Can folks suggest a blank to use for this project? I’m aware of the Sage 5120 blank. What other options are out there.

Thanks,

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, based on the overwhelming response I'm thinking you are encouraging me to pick a different winter project.

My wife has been bugging me about a strange noise her car has been making lately...there's the kid's room that needs painting...I should probably make sure the gutters are clean...and .......

:)

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
CND does make a lighter spey, the 1306. If you think the 1307 is too much rod it might be the trick as it's truly an ultralight spey. It likes the same lines as the other ultralight speys like the 5126. Currently only finished rods are available but there are plans to make blanks for Expert and Custom series in the months to come.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The truth of the matter is that there are hardly any 2-handed blanks or rods on the market for trout. The Sage 5120 and the CND 1306 Expert (which is a lot lighter and less powerful than the CND 1307) are the only ones that come to mind. Some of the 11'6" rods might be OK; but I find rods under 12' to be less than ideal spey casters.

Why not make an 11' or 11'6' single-hand rod? Sage has a very nice 11' (or is it 11'3") 6 wt available that is a very sweet casting 6 wt. And 11' is not too long for single-hand casting. There are also a few nice 10'6" 5 or 6 wt. blanks available that are also good longer trout rods.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flytyer said:
Why not make an 11' or 11'6' single-hand rod?
Good advice. I just prefer a day of spey casting vs. a day of single-hand casting. It's just a lot easier on my body and I find it more relaxing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
DLoop said:
I just prefer a day of spey casting vs. a day of single-hand casting. It's just a lot easier on my body and I find it more relaxing.
Don't overlook single-handed speycasting! I sometimes speycast with 10' 6-7 weight rods. Also had the pleasure of watching Eoin Fairgrieve (former ghillie on the River Tweed and now a Loop instructor) doing this a few months ago with a 9' rod; he was putting a haul into a single spey & laying out some superb casts.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
You might want to check with Bob Meiser to see..

if he'll sell you a blank for his 5/6 switch rod. I've used the finished product and it's the 'cats meow' for the type of fishing you describe.
fae

ps: sorry you didn't get replys to this thread before. It's the first time I've seen it come up.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
there are litterally piles of rods in the u.k. market,unlike here,that are over10 ft.they have every length . ,actually ,it's Quite comical really, i won't even ask someone on this side of the pond about a rod over9-9-1/2 ft.,unless ,of course i was on this forum,there's a ton of knowledge here!!,do some searching,not to badmouth the manufacturers here,but KNOWING truly what is available,is worth a lot,dig in man,that's what this screen is for eh':chuckle:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hammers hit the nail on the head there ,this is the land of the longer rod ,years ago we used to Laugh at you guys comong over with tooth picks to fish for salmon ,you have wised up since ,though I have a good friend out of New York who fishes salmon on our west coast with cane and is often top rod for his week .
Onto the subject ,Bruce and walker make some superb rods there a 5 peice 11'3 being developed at the moment which could easily be made double Handed ,though the design is based on the Century range which has been many Brits choice for drifting Boat work for seatrout and Grilse on the Lochs and loughs .
An email to them near Huntingdon should get you a list of their rods and blanks .
[Sorry posted the link and then remembered I shouldnt ) a google search will get you there

Worth a try the guys there are fishermen and know their spey rods .

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Thanks for all the good information folks. I read on another site the Simon was preparing a windcutter 5/6 "a with tips version" that would be tailored for the Sage 5120 perhaps. I think I will try that rod out again.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"D" have that line and it's a treat for ..

rods rated as 5 or a 6. Given it's design, you'll be limited to 50-70 foot casts at best, but this would more than cover 98% of 'trout fishing.'

Also a great 'close in' spey rod line for 'high sticking' work on rivers like the Rogue.

Speaking of which, given to understand that we've now got over 10,000 summer runs through the counter into the top 30 miles of river. Large! numbers of them are still holding below Tou Ville Park so our 'summer run' fishing should go on for at least another couple of months.

Also a wad of fall kings holding in this same area. Hooked two this evening fishing for summies, (zero there:( ) but both had me well into my backing (7136 sage) before the 8# leader said "enough."
fae

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Fred,

I thought you'd carry your "meat stick" B&W to the river with you for the kings, and one of the lighter rods for the summer runs.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"FT" a rod that size on the upper Rogue right now ..

would require a lot of interesting "answers" if confronted by a OSP officer. River is closed to the taking of kings from Hog Creek (about 10 river miles below Grants Pass) to the top of the river.

You flat can't help hooking the things from Medford area up, but your 'gear' had better be 'steelhead sized.' In the Tou Ville Park area there are several thousand spawing kings mixed in with the summer runs. So fishing for the one, you can't keep from hooking a lot of the others ... just have to turn them back.
fae

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is a reply to fredaevans
rods rated as 5 or a 6. Given it's design, you'll be limited to 50-70 foot casts at best, but this would more than cover 98% of 'trout fishing

Are you speaking about what you can cast with a 5# or a 6# rods? I can cast a 9ft 4# rod 50-60fts no problem but casting a 4# or a 5# rod that far is not flyfishing! I call that distance casting and a waste of Strength: :tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Another suggestion would be a Sage 6110-4XP blank.It's 11' long originally designed for lake fishing in the U.K.rated for 6wt.I've built 4 into Spey rods. I kept one for myself and it's fast becoming my favourite"allround" two -hander. It's extemely light and short enough that you can release fish easily while remaining in the stream. I use it now for Bass,Gar,Pike and Atlantics(including one 16lb).Will be trying it out for Steehead in two weeks.Gatti also makes a super 11 ' and are available in the U.S.
Cheers
Brian
PS: almost forgot it'sa 4 pc. and fits anywhere when broken down

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Forgot to mention I put a 6/7 XLT on the Sage and the Gatti model I mentioned is the FRD2-117-4TA(6/7 wt) , they also make an FRD2-115-4TA (for 4/5 wt)
Brian

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"R65" Meisers rod is rated as a 5/6 and..

that's a very good description of the blank/finished product. "Perfect line" for this rod is the WC 5/6.

IMHO casting distance is somewhat self limiting by the length of the rod your using (not to mention the casters skills). Bob can lay the WC out farther than I can but not by much (practice/time on water).

But for fish up to 5-7 pounds this rod would be a gas!!
fae

·
Registered
294 Posts
B+W 11,3 Blanks

Fred ,et al the bruce blank /rod is a perfect roll casting on the river rod ,Young Hugh my 11 year old has been double speying with one for the last couple of years on sea trout rivers ,its an older model ,the action is very similar but much heavier than the new rod or Blank .
with B+W you can get a real custom built rod ,do check out that website .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts