Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Spey Apprentice
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all:

i'm fairly new to the spey end of fly casting, i'm looking for advise towards a set-up. here's what i have in mind. casting to Salmonoids off rivermouths (freshwater) to staging (spawn ready) fish entering the many great lakes rivers and tributaries. these will include Chinook (pacific strain) Coho's, Rainbows and Brown Trout in the 6-30lbs+ class. i'm not sure if i need a smaller line class or up near of #9/#10Wt? most of these fish are still "chrome" and my theory of thinking would be to toss baitfish imitations into the surf for these staging fish.

i was thinking of a European action, as i don't need to make huge line mends rather just punch out some line and strip it in (the odd mend for current changes) so i was thinking the faster euro tapers, and an overhead cast. i was also thinking of using this set-up for Stripers off the Ma. coast and would or could i get away with a set-up for both? (i've recently read an article on two-handed rods for salt applications)

thank you in advance for any information, greatly appreciated

Merry Xmas :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
well,you're all over the board as far as intent,,i recomend perusing the board here and look at what others in your area are using,,most folks use different rods for a six pounder versus a thirty,so ,get about four rods and start wailin',,,:hehe:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Wow!! 'A man for all Seasons,' fish wise.

First, welcome to the Board and your first post.

IMHO, the spread of fishing your suggesting would require more than a single rod. Just 'one' would be too heavy/too light for all the applications your suggesting in you initial post.

But, my thought for the river application would be the R. B. Meiser' (Bob M) new 7-8-9. This is an all-round rod that will handle just about anything you'll hook in a river ... short of 'Namu.'

For surf/salt water conditions, a larger rod in the CND line may be a good choice. On these rods, I'll let Juro chime in as he's far more knowledgeable than I.

And, Happy Birthday to you too!!
fae

·
Spey Apprentice
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi:

maybe i didn't clarify myself too well (my bad). the advise i'm looking for is on what #Wt rod i should use for Salmonids, while casting into a Great Lake system. our rivers & tributaries that run off Lake Ontario are generally too small to spey cast properly.

i'm just looking for a rod/reel set-up that would allow me to cast to staging fish off the rivers mouths and cast farther distances into the lake, then a regular fly rod would. unfortunately i'm unable target one specific species as Salmon,Brown's and Steelhead are all starting their migration runs at roughly the same time.

again thank you for the input it's greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
fred's right

click on Meiser's masterpiece's,,in the upper corner,or search the sponsors,,he's probably fished your water as well,i'm into `lumber' myself,15-longer,full lines,just hated to see ya' hangin' ,,welcome to the board:D

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
At the risk of a bad 'pun,'

'he 7-8-9 would do you fine.' A second choice would be a 13-6 to 14 foot rod rated as an 8-9
:D

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Welcome and Happy holidays!

Since it sounds like you are a surf walker like me, I have to mention the Atlantis 11' 11/12wt as a serious option for steelhead, larger coho (and I do realize GL coho get BIG) and definitely the chinook but in all honesty the smaller trout (under 5 lbs) would not be much of a challenge for this rod.

11wt you might ask?? Keep in mind that it's not rated as a spey rod but as an overhand rod, and casts the same grain weights as an 7/8/9 weight spey rod. It likes the 450-600 grain lines very much and is a very light 8.6 oz (IM8 graphite) despite being a very tough gamefish rod designed for distance casts, big flies and big brawling fish.

Even though it's less beefy than a spey 11/12 by a long shot, it's that much more robust than a single hander in 9 or 10wt and that's it's niche. Not to mention an action that you can really feel and a deep well of reserve power to pursue your two-handed overhand casting yaya's with.

Since you've already mentioned that there would be no spey casting involved, I won't bother to mention the spey rods in the product line but there are 12 models.

In summary, for fishing the surf to staging fish I feel the 11ft overhand Atlantis rod would be very useful provided the fish are big enough to challenge the rod. Chinook would be more than adequate game for these rods!

·
Spey Apprentice
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Merry Xmas all:

thanks for all the advise/information. if you could provide a link to the Atlantis rod/blank, i'll be all set :D

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts