Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I want to convert my Rio Outbound Short intermediate line into an intermediate shooting head and intermediate running line. There seems to be quite a bit about DIY welded loops in regular lines, and I happen to have a heat gun. Looks pretty straightforward. The Outbound line looks more like mono, both the head and the running part. I'm sure this is my own ignorance, and it is just some different kind of coating.

What is the best way for me to make a nice permanent loop on this type of line? I ordered some Rio Braided loops I could use, but would I be able to do the welded loops the same way with the material these line are made of?

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Send me them to me, I will weld them for you. They need to be covered with a jacket that reinforces it. I've researched this unique material and it was custom extruded to my specs and this task. Im working of the product idea, but im willing to offer it as service for now. PM me for more details.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the offer Domantas! I'm sure your method is a lot better but I finally went with a DIY using the Rio braided loops, some nail knots, and knotsense to finish up. They are not super pretty, and definitely don't count as welded, but are smooth and strong enough. Didn't see the cost benefit of sending just one line off to get modded. Would still be interested in hearing about what you offer, with picture and costs, when you are ready.

Send me them to me, I will weld them for you. They need to be covered with a jacket that reinforces it. I've researched this unique material and it was custom extruded to my specs and this task. Im working of the product idea, but im willing to offer it as service for now. PM me for more details.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
I will be creating the thread soon. Im very excited to be the one that cracked the code of what Rio and Airflo is doing.

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Im interested to hear about this. Rios T material is weld your own loops. I use double nail knots covered in shrink tube which works just as well if not better than welded loops IMO but I am curious to hear your methods. I fish all my musky lines with these type loops with 50lb leader and have put them to the max. I am happy to say I havent even seen a slight bit of fatigue but after a while they do need re done becuase the loop itself starts to wear.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
Clear Int lines can be welded just like other lines.

The caveat is the lower melt point, and the core is more sensitive to heat so it requires a light touch. But my Int welds haven't failed yet.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Haven't even tried welding due to the mono core material. My solution is same as yours (braided loops, etc.), which I like best because it is hard to screw-up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts