Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on a (probably intermediate) shooting line that would work well with a full intermediate head on a light (5wt, 13') spey swinging for shad. I have a 35# gripshooter and was thinking that this might as well be one as it probably would get sunk by the head. I guess regular mono might be some people's suggestion. I also have a spool of 25# Opst lazer. Maybe none of these is technically intermediate, but maybe just a good? Feel free to convince me I should use a floating running line if you feel strongly about it - with the int head and sink tips I would guess that thing might be able to dredge Neptune's briny deep all by itself. The only experience I have is messing around with an int head wullf ambush.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
IMO shooting line does not matter. I have fished floating SL with very fast sinking heads and fish Intermediate SL (Sawada Flat Beam) with floating heads the most.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I was definitely thinking it probably would not matter much. But it definitely would not matter (in terms of presentation - I suppose some people might care about seeing the line) if ANY part of your head is floating.

Part of me says a floating shooting line would keep things in the back up off of obstructions more. The other part says it might negate a bit of the presentation and depth. I'm currently leaning toward doesn't matter at all, with a slight lean towards the former. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use Airflo's Intermediate Ridge line. It handles a lot like their floating line. It sinks very slowly. I think mono will get you deeper, and will definitely give you more distance.

briansII

·
JD
3,614 Posts
Once upon a time

Back in the day before all this fancy running line was available, someone turned me on to whipping thread, which was used to wrap the old, really old, wooden shafts on golf clubs. You had to make a lot of calls to pro shops (before the internet) to find this stuff. But when you did, it was cheap. It is a twisted braid, coated with who knows what. I have never been able to weld a loop in it. but it handles well and is what would be considered hover or intermendiate. I used it behind SH 6wt heads in still water applications.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
With Int shooting line, how deep you're standing has a lot of effect on how much line you shoot, simply because when you're standing deeper the eddy you create sucks that Int line right down like anchor chain.

The nicest Int shooter I've used is Guideline Compline 35#; it shoots well, coils little, and sinks as advertised. I have another Int shooter but it's been so long since I used it I don't know what it is.

With shad, you're usually on the gravel bar and shooting for the channel, right? If that's the case, an Int line might not be necessary unless you're casting super long. If it were me I'd be going with a full sink head that'll get in the zone with mono shooter. Just seems like there would be less cursing that way:saeek:

But if you want to try an Int shooter as an experiment, I can mail you one.

regards,
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob, your advice kind of matches my instinct at this point - that it really isn't required, and if it really was I probably shouldn't be swinging for those fish anyway. So far nobody has said they think it is crucial or important to have a sinking shooting line. I definitely have several shooting lines to try out - and yesterday Steve Godshall sent me two full intermediate heads to try out on the shad. :) Going to be fun experimenting.

It is also nice not to have to be super anal with the line management before every cast. I am supposed to be having fun after all

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Having used a lot of intermediate (& sinking) shooting heads, I would concur that it's NOT necessary to use a sinking (or intermediate) running line; it's probably an advantage to NOT use a sinking or intermediate running line with an intermediate or sinking head.

My advice would be to use whatever running line you own and are most comfortable with in any event :)

Mike

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
From my experience I would recommend sticking with floating running lines, a sinking head will submerge the end of these anyway so there is no perceptable difference in the depth of presentation of the fly but the floating running line will be much more pleasant to manage & you won't risk getting it trapped under or around your' feet as you wade - which can result in both a swim & a broken running line / possible lost shooting head.

Also, being able to see the floating running line helps to monitor the swing of the fly & ammend it as you feel is required.

Regards, Tyke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts