Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I've done some search work, but never seem to pinpoint what I'm looking for. I'm buying this for SOULY a summerrun floating line rod. I pretty much have always used a straight floater for my summerfishing. I've seen some of the choices, but I want a VERY narrowed amount of choices. My delima is this. I normally use a DT floating line on my one handers. Should I go with a DT spey line, or should I get one of the longer head Rio type lines (I guess it would be the grand spey?).

So, what do you all think. In fact, brands would be good. I'm not asking what line weight, but which line to go with (DT vs long WF).

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
As this is my primary summer run rod I'll drop in my .02 cents.

I'll assume you have the 'green blank' rather than the older 'brownie,' as line choice for one (imho) is not the same. Love this rod with the 6/7 xlt line for a full floater. The light RIO acltr also makes this rod come alive.

Also used the 7wt TT and was not impressed with it's loading ability on this rod. A DT line would be my very last choice. If you want to 'shoot' line, then the RIO mid-spey is a delightful combo due to it's longer WF head (vs. the WC).
fae

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
7/8 Midspey full floater is an excellent match with this rod, and it's not too long like some lines and not too short like others. For what you describe, I'd wager that you'd be hard pressed to do better than the 7/8 ms.

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
I very much like a triangle taper 8/9 (now TT8) on the newer version of this rod (green or tiger eye light brown blank).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the old model of this and I fish two lines on it. The TT 7\8 which is OK. I like it for throwing light tips and the Steelhead mastery 8 wt. and I love this line on the rod. The belly is in the 60 some odd feet and I like the way it makes the rod feel for my casting stroke.

JJ

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
SH69,

I have this rod as well and the 7/8 Airflo Traditional matches it very well. This is a long belly line, but itis not too long.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Fly lines for the brown 7136

I have casted 3 of Rio's lines with this rod.

WC 678 with tips not that great particuliarly with the tips.

MS 7/8 with tips: Does a good job with the floating tip/disaster with sinking tips.

MS 6/7 Floating line: This line and the rod are made for each other. I was about to sell this rod until this spring and I tried the floating MS 6/7. I fell back in love with the rod and this combo. It is an effortless combo for the Double and Single Spey casts.

I have tried a furled leader that I got from La Fontaine's on line store, the 15' bone fish leader. In reality it is 11' 2" long and you attach a 3-4 tippet on it. This works well with the 6/7 floating mid spey and Fontaine's floating Flex Hopper fly. This combo worked very well with some leader and line shy smallmouth bass on the Russian River and La Fontaine's recently on a warm/hot day.

This combo will be my main tool as we go into the hopper season in No. California and S. Oregon the rest of this summer.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have the 7136 "brownie" and fish it with a triangle taper 8/9 and a 7/8 accelerator cut back past the hinge to fire tips.The triangle taper is a sweet combination for dry line work - my 5 cents worth!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will second the Airflo Long Belly for the brown 7136. I searched for years to find a line that the rod would like and it fits the rod perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts