Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
Snowbee Tamar, Scott LS2, CND Spey Tracker, Sage 5120, Meisers, Beulahs, & Andersons all have trout speys, to mention a few.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Trout Speys

I have been using and experimenting with trout sized light spey rods for about 8 or 9 years and use them quite a bit on the Madison,Yellowstone and Missouri Rivers. Most major rod makers have one "trout spey" in their line up and there are several custom makers that produce fine trout speys. I actually just got a 12' 2" CND "Spey Tracker" from Japan yesterday with the CND 5/6 line so I have been comparing my 5 wt's. Also, there are some "5 wt's" out that are more like 6/7 & 8 wt's. Many people use long belly, triangle (delta) taper and even "nymph" lines in the 7/8 wieght class to properly load a "5wt." spey. So, if you are looking to throw a true 5wt. spey line, it is almost beter to match the rod to the line than visa-versa. It's a hard item to purchase because not many fly shops carry them (depending on your location) and as of now, they are definetly specialty items. I'm pretty sure Bob Meiser will send you one to try out if you pay for shipping. Anyway, a few rods, in my opinion, that cast a windcutter 5/6 well are:

Scott LS2 12; 5WT.
Loomis Streamdance 13' 4" 5/6
Bob Meiser 11' 7" 5,6,7
CND Spey Tracker 12' 2" 5,6,7 (#7 designation just added to this rod)
Thomas & Thomas 10' 6wt.
Winston BX 2 11' 7wt.

If you have any questions about ultralight spey rods let me know and I'll try to answer them. Good luck - Lawrence Stuemke

·
Registered
210 Posts
Light two-handers

Gary Anderson of Anderson Custom Rods makes a bunch of terrific light spey rods in 3, 4 and 5 weights. The line designations in the small sizes are admittedly a bit arbitrary, since there aren't any superlight two-handed lines, but the Anderson rods will cast a 5/6 Windcutter. They also won't overpower a decent sized trout. They really shine with shooting heads (as will most of the other light spey rods mentioned) and can even sling some surprising lengths of dense (Airflo T-10 or Rio T-8) sink tips with a Skagit cast.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
I actually just got a 12' 2" CND "Spey Tracker" from Japan yesterday with the CND 5/6 line so I have been comparing my 5 wt's.
Lawrence I'm curious why you'd get a Spey Tracker from Japan when the US distributor is right in your back yard?

Another rod that nicely casts a 5/6 WC is a Snowbee Tamar, at least for me.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Why Japan?

I have a client from Tokyo who is very very good to me.:) Did you know it only takes 6 days to get a package from Tokyo to Bozeman Montana - kind of amazing isn't it! It is going to be in the 40's tomorrow and I am going to go out to the Madison with some lightweight speys, LS2 5, Loomis 5/6, Spey Tracker and several new lines. I'm trying to find a skagit line (I am just getting in to them) to throw large sculpin patterns on them. Any ideas? Still planninmg to come over to the Clearwater soon - Lawrence

·
Registered
294 Posts
loomis

I have a loomis metoiious streamdance 13'4 5/6. It is soft action. I use the small windcutter tips with it, a good match. Very fun to use. A great tool for streamer fishing. also great for nymphing, huge mends can be made and the tip can follow the fly a long distance.
Not an inexpensive rod, $500, but not many (any) rods in the 300$ range for that size.

Jay

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
I'm trying to find a skagit line (I am just getting in to them) to throw large sculpin patterns on them. Any ideas? Still planninmg to come over to the Clearwater soon
I think you will find a WC VersiTip 9/10/11 with tip 2 removed will work nicely for a Skagit line on a lot of the trout speys.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Which Snowbee?

[

Another rod that nicely casts a 5/6 WC is a Snowbee Tamar, at least for me.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the Tamar, or the lighter Torridge (7/8 vs. 6/7)?

I use various scando tips on my Torridge.

Tom

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
I mean the Tamar. For me the optimal grain rating of 370 seems to match a 5/6 WC nicely. I haven't tried it yet but I think a CND 5/6 will also be sweet. If one wants a skagit line a WC 9/10/11 belly section (approx. 330grns+/-) with a 100 to 150 grain 15' tip also does nicely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.