Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a annual snowboard rally race fundraiser called the Dirksen Derby here in Bend for a young man who broke his neck in the halfpipe almost 10 years ago. One of the fun parts of the weekend is a "broken board art auction", where local artists take broken boards and art-ify them to raise funds for the young man.

I've got an idea for this year that involves a broken board, a photo of the Deschutes, and a steelhead fly.

I thought maybe I could come to the collective and see if anyone has a rather large hook for the project....I can buy it if it's not too much. Doesn't need to be high quality steel, just kind of large. I'd probably tie up a basic hairwing or something like that.

Actually....ideally I'd find someone who would be interested in sending me a big classic colorful married wing fly for the art board, but a single hook would be fine.

any philanthropically-minded tiers interested in helping out?

thx, Tap

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Sending you a PM now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good news... chukkarhun99 has the wire to craft up a big fly for the piece. And, he's a former Mt. Bachelor rider, so there's a connection too.

Looking forward to working with you, John!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Good stuff guys, make sure to post a pic of all the finished work. Would love to see it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Small world.... looking forward to this challenge.... first of three irons shaped for Mr. Tap.
Did a sketch-up of what I was thinking to get an idea of the proportions and this is one big iron.... to the group how's the shape?
Would be a nice Dee iron in a bit more manageable size. Length is 4" x hook gap about 7/8"x .062" wire.....

thanks for looking
John

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Whooa!

Small world.... looking forward to this challenge.... first of three irons shaped for Mr. Tap.
Did a sketch-up of what I was thinking to get an idea of the proportions and this is one big iron.... to the group how's the shape?
Would be a nice Dee iron in a bit more manageable size. Length is 4" x hook gap about 7/8"x .062" wire.....

thanks for looking
John
That is one serious hook ... Properly wrapped and fish for 'Killer Whales' in Puget Sound?:smokin:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it's time for an update. Chukarhun99 (John) is one heck of a guy for taking time over the past 8 days (only 8 days?) to help with this. Im amazed at the level of his passion, skill, and knowledge and proud to have him as a partner in the Dirksen Derby Broken Board Art Auction, truly. And the best part? He has roots in the Bend and Mt. Bachelor scene. Yes, mi breddah! Raspect!

So, I guess we'll call this a SBS, no?

Initial concept from a shot I took down at Kloan

Poster printed and donated board

Orvis catalog taken apart, laid out, and traced to become a stencil (probably the best use I've ever had for one:p). The stencil was laid over the board to figure out the final framing

All the while, John is busy shaping, cutting, treating, acid washing, blackening, and prepping the 12/0 "Tapper" Limerick

Image cut, it was adhered to the board with spray adhesive and pressed with hands in socks. Razor cut edges were colored to match the photo to eliminate the white edge.

When this image hit my phone, my jaw hit the floor. Gentlemen, may I present the 12/0 Autumn Splendor, tied in hand, by John

Framed, it will be attached to the tail do the board on posts (left side)

This has been a lot of fun so far. john shipped it yesterday and USPS says the box is out for delivery, and after installing the frame, it'll go to the event for set-up. I'll post the final product when it's complete and some shots from the party. Wish you could join us John, for a beer or 6.

another great coincidence? The band that will be playing the party is a Little Feat / Grateful Dead cover jam band called.....wait for it...Stealhead.

Just another way the SpeyPages community rocks. :cool::cool:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Picture!!!

WOW!!! I love the picture on the board, that looks amazing... Fly is pretty nice too... Wouldn't want to get hit with that on the back of the head... Alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts