Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, I have looked through the Nautilus web site and found all the specs for the Nautilus 12S and spey line capacities and havent found an adequate answer.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the Nautilus 12? Will it hold an XLT 7/8? I am sure it will hold it, but does how does it do with backing (50lb Gel Spun would be used.) I know they havent been out too long so I might be asking a million dollar question and I understand that. If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Hey Jay,

The 12 with gelspun will easily carry a 7/8 xlt. Would be a nice match.

I have the 12s and have no trouble with 300 yards of dacron and the 7/8 xlt. Those 12s are much bigger than the 12 though.

What rod you looking at putting it on?

-sean

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Sean - thanks for the heads up. I have been emailing back and forth with Kristen at Nautilus. She told me the 12 will hold 100 yards of GS with an XLT 8/9. I'm arming it with a 7/8 XLT and partnering it with a Sage 7141. I have been waiting patiently to find a set up that "I" consider to be smokin' hot all around. The 7141 is the rod, and I am fully confident that the Nautilus will be a great match.

On a side note - I have been emailing back and forth with Kristen for the last half hour or so. Nautilus / Old Florida get a "A++" from me on Customer Service. They Rock!!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
The 12 will be a nice match for that rod. The 12s would look like a big ole dinner plate on that rod. I reserve my 12s for my 1510-5 T&T.

-sean

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I just looked at the 12 and 12S at my local fly shop. The 12S would be fine on the BIG sticks. I think the 12 will look and function really well on my choice of 7141. I'm excited...or will be in the next month or so when this little plan comes together! Kristen from Nautilus is NOT a she......bad assumption on my part. Sorry about that Kristen! :eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nautilus 12

I have an 8/9 Windcutter on the 12 with about 200 yards of 30#.

It's a terrific reel.

Couldn't agree more about the customer service at Nautilus. They've been great.

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a follow up to this post.

I got the Nautilus 12 and its probably the sleekest, coolest, smoothest reel I have ever had the pleasure of owning. It kicks some major @$$ and I cant wait to hear it sing under the weight of an angry steelhead....if it quits raining....

Anyhow, for future reference, the Nautilus 12 will hold 200 yards of Rio 50lb gel spun and you're choice of lines. I got a MidSpey on there with a little extra room and a 7/8 XLT fills it right up to the top while still maintaining 200 yards of backing. Bottom Line: Works for me!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts