Spey Pages banner

Nautilus (CCF): any problems - ever?

8K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  raspberry-patch 
#1 ·
Hi.

Has anyone had any problems with OF Nautilus reels (the new ones with the CCF drag)? Even a slight problem? I've only seen praises of these reels and just want to make sure that there isn't problems with it, before my pal gets one via me (because he doesn't have a credit card and I do).

Is there any side play in the spool and is there IAR or conventional with a little backlash?

Cheers,
Sakari

#5 ·
Issue not a problem

I have started fishing with Nautilus reels and I love them. One issue with them, however: The reels are so smooth and move so easily that the casting motion will actually cause the reel spool to rotate about ten degrees. If you fish with a loop of line between the reel and your hand and are not careful you will find that your line is shortening slightly with every cast. This is easily overcome by making sure that you cast the full length of line and then pull out your loop. Once I was careful, I never had another problem with this phenomenon.

#11 ·
I have started fishing with Nautilus reels and I love them. One issue with them, however: The reels are so smooth and move so easily that the casting motion will actually cause the reel spool to rotate about ten degrees. If you fish with a loop of line between the reel and your hand and are not careful you will find that your line is shortening slightly with every cast. This is easily overcome by making sure that you cast the full length of line and then pull out your loop. Once I was careful, I never had another problem with this phenomenon.
This happens with a lot of reels- certainly with my Hardy Gem Mk II's. The problem is particularly acute if you are shooting a lot of line, because you can't realistically hold the line right in front of the reel, at least I can't, and it is also exacerbated if you need to roll the line to the surface prior to casting, because both that roll cast and then the cast proper will cause the spool to move.

I guess it doesn't tend to happen with click and pawl reels?

#7 ·
None - Nautilus I recommend

Last week .. in the snow, (0.6C - 33F) water, et cetera. No problem.

I am not fond on the drag setting (always trying to remember which way to set it), which holds true for all of my reels, except my classics 2w and 3w. Something nice about having the drag setting on the same side as the handle.

My favourite drag reels - Nautilus and Islander.

#12 ·
Hopefully you won't get a problem with the reel, because from my experience, their customer service was appalling, the worst I have encountered from any manufacturer. My reel that had the issue was an older FW where the drag failed when it hadn't even been fished.
Apparently the newer CCF reels are more reliable.
Dan

#13 ·
My experience was the complete opposite of WaitakeDan's. I was talking to Nautilus' representative at the Sandy Spey Clave, telling him I liked the way the new reels clicked. He said send it in, so I did. Eleven or twelve days later, my reel was back--complete with a clicker. NO CHARGE!!!!!!

I was, and am, very impressed with their service and product.

#14 ·
Positive Customer Service

Bought from another "an as new'" Nautilus (estate sale), but the drag was busted - some scuff marks on one spool, but in good shape otherwise. I believe the drag knob was over tighten, but I am speculating.

The service for replacement was as good as it can get. Within a couple of days of postage, I got a call back, ask for approval for a small fee to fix, and sent back to Canada. On par with Simms, Sage and the good guys was my experience. For reels, I have had good service from Islander (though, I think they moved office and was tough to get) and Nautilus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.