Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This coming June the International Open Spey Casting Championships will be held at the National Country Fair in Ireland. It will be held on June 4th and 5th and the prize money is 3000 Euros :whoa:

Scott Mackenzie will be back out to defend his championship as well as a host of international casters. The event as a whole sounds like a great time with a host of many great events in addition to the casting championship.

Here is a link the the angling event:

http://www.countryfair.ie/eventangling.htm

Hope to see some Americans step up to the plate and compete with the big boys this year.

-sean

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Sean,
This is a good show and i always saw it in some ways to a prelim for the CLA gamefair a few weeks later,as most of the top spey casters would be at it and whoever did well at this comp stood a good chance of doing well at the CLA,i however won't be able to make it this year as i'm running one of my casting classes and i've now given up competition casting,but i'm still hoping to make it to most of the shows doing demos and stuff,i would like to wish everyone who take part in the comps all the best of luck in the year ahead,and it would be great to see some new faces from the other side of the pond so to speak taking part,:)
Scott Mackenzie,
www.spey-casting.com

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that Scott. I had heard you retired and then saw you mentioned on the Country Fair's website as competing so I thought you had unretired :)

Hope the schools are going well and looking forward to seeing and casting some of your new rods when they become avail.

-sean

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sean

As Scott said, this is a great run up to the CLA. It will be stiff competition this year with boys from all over the UK attending and maybe a few from the US??

The total prize fund is 3000 Euros. This is divided up for the top 6 places which I think is the fairest way.

The Fly Fair at Kelso will also be taking place the weekend before Speyorama. This is certain to be a great event with the best casters/instructers in the world attending. The link below will give a little more details. http://www.tweedanglingfair.co.uk/

·
Registered
124 Posts
fishingd0 said:
Sean

As Scott said, this is a great run up to the CLA. It will be stiff competition this year with boys from all over the UK attending and maybe a few from the US??

The total prize fund is 3000 Euros. This is divided up for the top 6 places which I think is the fairest way.

The Fly Fair at Kelso will also be taking place the weekend before Speyorama. This is certain to be a great event with the best casters/instructers in the world attending. The link below will give a little more details. http://www.tweedanglingfair.co.uk/

How did the Tweed Angling Fair go?
Should it be marked in the calendar?

Best regards
Steven

·
Registered
625 Posts
country fair

Hi Steven,
Gordie Armstrong won the distance comp, Scott did a brilliant demo, was a great weekend and Diawa bought me dinner .
The details are posted somewhere on this site.
Gordon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
McIntyre said:
Is the whole competition on Monday 5th? Or are there any qualification rounds earlier?
McIntyre,

Qualifying takes place during Sunday and the early part of Monday. It is 10 euros for each qualifying attempt.The top 6 qualifyers go through to the final which will be held sometime on Monday afternoon. In the final, the competitors go in reverse order with the best qualifyer casting last.

Hope this helps,
Ger:)

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
Ger said:
McIntyre,

Qualifying takes place during Sunday and the early part of Monday. It is 10 euros for each qualifying attempt.The top 6 qualifyers go through to the final which will be held sometime on Monday afternoon. In the final, the competitors go in reverse order with the best qualifyer casting last.

Hope this helps,
Thank you!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Monday afternoon? Now that seems odd.

" .... The top 6 qualifyers go through to the final which will be held sometime on Monday afternoon. " Considering a large number of folks who would probably want to watch I'd have though a Saturday/Sunday venue would make a tad more sense.

Any idea why a Sunday/Monday?:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
fredaevans said:
" .... The top 6 qualifyers go through to the final which will be held sometime on Monday afternoon. " Considering a large number of folks who would probably want to watch I'd have though a Saturday/Sunday venue would make a tad more sense.

Any idea why a Sunday/Monday?:confused:
Fredaevans,

The 4th/5th of June is a bank holiday weekend over here in Ireland which is why the country fair at Emo Castle runs into Monday evening. It's a bit awkward for people coming from overseas to watch/participate but that's just the way it worked out this year.

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
How far is it to drive from Dublin Airport to PortLoise? We are thinking of arriving on saturday, but it would be nice too know how much time we should estimate for driving.

Also, do anyone know if it would be possible to test cast on the competition platform on Saturday?

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's only just over 60 miles from Dublin Airport to Portlaoise, & you're on good roads most of the way, so shouldn't take much over an hour on a Saturday.

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
Sitting on the airport in Dublin waiting for my flight home to Norway...

Nice too meet all the scots and other good casters at the Country Fair and congratulations to Gordon who took the first place!

Really a nice event and good to have some sun in the face after a few cold and rainy days in Orkla last week. Hope to see you all again at the CLA game fair.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ger said:
Fredaevans,

The 4th/5th of June is a bank holiday weekend over here in Ireland which is why the country fair at Emo Castle runs into Monday evening. It's a bit awkward for people coming from overseas to watch/participate but that's just the way it worked out this year.

Sorry Ger; your reply went right under my 'radar.' Works for me.
Fred

·
Registered
37 Posts
McIntyre, you certainly impressed the crowd with your magnificent Spey casting. You throw a very stylish forward loop. Congratulations on your third place.

Results
First place Gordon Armstrong, Scotland, with 58.5yds
Second place Knut Syrstad, Norway
Third place Oddbjorn Midbo, Norway
I’m not sure of the order of Fourth, Fifth and Sixth but the places were shared between James Chalmers, Scotland, Grant Mackenzie, Scotland, and Andrew Toft, Scotland.

Five of the top six places used Carron Lines. Qualifying distance for the final was 54 yds.

The Ghillie Competition - combined Spey and overhead, was held using a 14ft Greys rod and a standard Hardy Line.

It was won by Cameron Smith, Scotland
Second was fifteen year old Blair Banks, Scotland
Third Ruari Costello, Ireland.

I must congratulate the marking this year which was highly visible to all and very accurate. An excellent system.

Layout of the ropes was a little awkward with the line of the final delivery not just in line with the platform but veering to the right slightly. This resulted in back loops catching the platform. Otherwise a very professionally organised event.

My memories of the event will be watching James Chalmers throw two sixty yard lines while practicing. Watching the amazing casting of Gordon Armstrong. Seeing Ruari Costello continue to emerge as undoubtedly Ireland's finest caster. I watched the wind blow Ruari’s wool approx 2 inches over the line on a 57 / 58 yds cast. Also the truly magnificent hospitality of Gwyneth and Jimmy Jack, James Chalmers and all the Carron casters.

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
Robbie G said:
McIntyre, you certainly impressed the crowd with your magnificent Spey casting. You throw a very stylish forward loop. Congratulations on your third place.

Results
First place Gordon Armstrong, Scotland, with 57.5yds
Second place Knut Syrstad, Norway
Third place Oddbjorn Midbo, Norway
I’m not sure of the order of Fourth, Fifth and Sixth but the places were shared between James Chalmers, Scotland, Grant Mackenzie, Scotland, and Andrew Toft, Scotland.
Thanks Robbie.

Just a little correction to the results. I was number second and Knut number third. Knut throwing 55.8 yds and I had 56 point something.

Knut was casting an XLT 9/10 and I casted a standard 95' 11/12 Carron cut on 95'.

They didn't tell the place of the 4,5 and 6th casters, so if any one has the resultlist this would be nice to know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Oddbjorn,

Many apologies for my mistake, getting a little confused among Norwegians.

Congratulations on your second place, well done. It is a great achievement considering you were casting against such skilled competitors.

best wishes,

Robert.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey all!!!
I think that Grat came 4th with about 56yds????:confused: , Odbjorn, glad you had a good time, I look forward to seeing youselk and Knut next month.
Thanks to everyone for the hospitality and instruction over the weekend,

Blair

·
Registered
52 Posts
Irish Open Speycasting Competition

Just getting back to normality after a fantastic weekend at Emo court in Ireland.
I would like to congratulate the organisers and judges of this event for their professional approach to competition judging and absolute clarity in the marking of each cast,as this makes all the difference to the competitors who pay their money to have a go.
The quality of this show is increasing each year with, plenty of entries to all the events,It was really good to see plenty new faces having a go, and the potential for the future is very encouraging,especially from Ireland.
The organisers of the fishing side were a magical double act,they are giants in the fishing circles Hywell Morgan of Scierra and Andy Murray of House of Hardy along with a band of organisers from Irelands casting organisations,well
done to you all especially in the searing heat.
The casting competition itself was nailbiting,very close indeed with Gordon Armstrong taking first place with a cast of 58.5 yards on his very 1st cast,Oddbjorn AKA Mcintyre on the forum took second place and Knut Syrstad
was third,well done guys a very commendable achievment as the conditions in the final were difficult.
This venue is a must visit for anyone who is keen on distance Speycasting with a big prize fund for the top 3 casters
A special mention should be given to the guys who competed in the Ghillies trophy which is a combination of overhead aand Speycasting using a 14 foot hardys rod and a Hardy line.
The final of this event was brilliant,with very little between the top 3 casters
The winner was Cameron Smith,second place was 15 year old Blair Banks(what a talent)third place was Ruari Costello

here are some pics of the weekend

Blair Banks and Gerard coyle Ireland

Added bonus

Cool Dude
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/speyvalley/DSC00918.jpg

Blair with his 1st Prize

Ruari with 1st prize

Cameron with 1st prize in the Ghillie Trophy
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/speyvalley/DSC00996.jpg

Blair Banks getting interveiwed by the female press

Showing off their Prizes

Chill out time
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/speyvalley/DSC01011.jpg

Knut and Blair

The Beer was great therapy

I would like to make a special mention to Gerard Coyle AKA Ger who travelled up by train and took a Taxi to the show each day,keep up the good work with the casting Gerard and you will be a force to be reckoned with,good luck in Sligo.

James Chalmers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts