Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was listening to NPR and the program was about applications of nanotechnology that are already in use. The first reference was to the molecular recomposition of the basic ingredient in "Sun Screen" which allowed it to mix with lotions that would make it easily smeared on the affected body parts.
The second was graphite tubes which will be even lighter than they are now and (some mind staggering number that slipped from mind) X the strength of steel.
Now the big question has this development already taken place and the report was news only to the likes of me or is there a new reveloution about to sweep the ranks of the rod builders.
Just an aside I seem to recall that Bamboo is pound for pound stronger than steel. I remember seeing bamboo used as scaffolding in the construction of high rise buildings in South East Asia they just lashed each floor to the next level and went about there work hundreds of feet up in the air working on bamboo supported platforms. Maybe part of the reason I like cane but really I thinks as simple as gentlemen perfer blondes.:hehe:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A little North of me...

But very facinating does anyone have a clue as to the possibility of an application for the 18' to 24' giants looming on the horizon. Or in other words where is the "arms race" headed next.:smokin:

·
Registered
141 Posts
nano-technology

Redington has been marketing singlehanded rods for a couple of years that they claim utilize non-tech. After Orvis purchased and then sold Redington, they came out with a nano-tehcnology rod. I've not fished the Orvis, but I absolutely love the Redington singlehanders

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I'm not sure anyone is even close to utilizing this technology in fishing applications... which begs the question, was all that nano-stuff just marketing hype?

Personal preferences being the reason I'm sure, I hated casting those rods. They were the opposite of a 'good feeling' flyrod, in my hands anyway.

A feel-good single hander was the old Sage RPL. If it's doesn't feel better than that, then don't bother no matter how strong it is... IMHO.

Now if they could make a rod that felt great indestructible... well I'd be all for it!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nano whatever

I sure do not have the knowledge to say that they are not using nano-technology. However the Redington's are lighter than any rod I have tried, and they cast long and true. I hope that Sage supports them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Redington bought the nano blanks from a company in New Zealand. The nano rods were weak and broke alot, so they came out with the quartz rods and they were stong and didn't feel as nice. Like Gary Loomis said,"I could make a rod you couldn't break, but you wouldn't want to fish with it."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts