Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious, what criteria do you apply to the naming of holes and pools on your rivers?

any good names?

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
My only criteria, or motives if you will, are to determine what holes others are talking about and where they are and then to disguise them as best as I can when talking about them, except among friends. For example, if I learn that a few guys have done well at "The Log Hole", I know that my friends and I may want to try it out but not turn it into a parking lot, so we'll refer to it as Rattlesnake Gulch or the Cess Pool, or some other endearing name.

I've found that names like "The Log Hole" seldom have a log anywhere near them so I assume this is a time tested tradition. One must lie blatantly and mislead with a straight face :saevilw:

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is a pool on a loclal steelhead river ,in Oregon, that was sort of named various things, to various people. Penthouse? (has large cliffs overlooking the run?) Heart attack flatts. (Two mile walk into it.) Elivator shaft(named for the rapids directly down stream from it) but for me It will always be named -Boat Chaser- A friend and me drifted in there with our pontoon boats years ago. we anchored the boat in the shallows,and tied the boats together. The anchor only had about five feet of slack , from where it was tied off to the other boat. It is a shallow , gravel bar in close. the boats were in ankle deep water. I was far down river , in the run , a couple of hundred yards below the boat fishing, when my partner yelled out to me from up river. A sudden cross stream wind had drug the boats into the main flow an the boats were at about mid stream! I ran down stream waded out accross this back channel, to where the elevator shaft rapids dumped over the big shute. The start of 1/2mile of steep heavy rapids . I got within about ten feet of where the boats were floating past me . I considerd making a dive for it! Then the voice in me head said -Don't do it- One of those split second decitions that , could decide weather I lived or died. I watched thousands of $ of boats, spey rods ,reels, cameras,and such shoot the elivator shaft rapids . I still cant believe the anchor rope did not get hung up in the rocks somehow. The river was low , and I was able to barely wade the river, in the tail out above the rapid. I made a- rambo, death march, down river about a mile, through the rugged rain forest,over logs,and big boulders. by the time I got down river to the big eddy and pool below, I was about beat to a pulp. The boats were still out in the eddy,and had been blown over to the edge a bit. They were plobably in there last revolution through the eddy,and were about to be caught in the mail current again! I stripped off my waders, and made a swim for it. ( it was Feb. ) I caught them about mid river and was barely able to pull myself up on them, I was so beat up. Mean while my friend had waded out to the down stream tip of the island, that boarders the elevator shaft rapids. I was able to pull the boat up river ,and cross and get him. He said he could not wade accross up river where I had crossed? Im not shure how I got accross? One of those things you look back on and laugh :hihi:

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
A friend was telling me about a Hole on a local river a couple years ago and I had never heard of it "5:15 Hole". I had been fishing this river for more than 20 years and never in my life have I heard of it. So I had to ask him about it, he showed it to me one day and I started laughing then I ask him why he called it "5:15 Hole"; he said that's the time when he get's there after work each day 5:15pm :hihi: True story!

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I apologize for those that have heard this story before.

Some years back as we were drifting down a favorite river, a buddy pulled out the new dressing he had created the night before. It was a marabou and saddle hackle monstrosity which was orange on the front half and purple on the back. I asked if it was a purple fly or an orange one. He responded that "it went both ways". Great, I responded, you have a bi-sexual fly. About this time we rounded a corner into some nice water whose head had been modified by the last big flood. He suggested we try it and on his first cast, the Bi-Sexual was smashed by a fish. From that time on, we have referred to that run as the Bi-Sexual. All that is fine and dandy but I have to laugh now because it seems everyone that fishes it, calls it that now too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Deschutes

It has become a poplular hole, maybe because others saw as much success as we did 4 years ago on the Deschutes. Named the "69" hole because we hooked 9 and landed 6 steelies in a 3 hours strech one morning. Needless to say we have had several multi-fish mornings there since - but there is ALWAYS a few fellow fly tossers standing in the wings... even 60 minutes before the sun is up.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
IMHO the criteria for sucessfully naming a hole is when everyone you know uses the name. We can all name for ourselves but the hole doesn't really have the name until others refer to it by same. I've come up with a few that people have accepted...

"the Cobble"
"the Rock Garden"

And have passed some secret spots on to friends who have aptly named them:

"Alpha hole"
"Jaws"

Every river has at least one of these:

"Car body"
"Power Lines"

And most have a:

"Cable hole"
"Deadline"

Even ocean beaches have 'holes'. They don't stay as long due to the forces of nature, but everyone accepted my nickname for a unique island formation of sand "the Mecca" (now a peninsula) and one of the forum guys named "Big Girl Bar" after a day of several 40"+ stripers between daybreak and 8:30am. Names like "the tub" and "the crib" identify key features on the Monomoy Refuge, a large oceanic flat.

We had a lot of fun naming flats, creeks and reefs in Acklins while bonefishing last month - possibly the first anglers to name some of these spots in this remote area.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Keith Wilson Bridge run on the Vedder has now become know as the the Gauntlet. Gee, I wonder why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.