Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been informed by spey masters that the name "double snake" has already been used long ago in the UK. Hence the cast in question posted earlier will be referred to as "Upriver Snake Roll" if I make any additional posts or videos and/or replying to PM's and emails I've received.

Just goes to prove there is rarely anything really new, just tweaks like this one that are fun to play with. Occasionally, a new cast like Simon's snake roll really opens some doors but as someone mentioned in the cast database thread there are very few show stoppers and a lot of variations.

In any case they can be fun to learn and apply to fishing situations IMHO.

reference post:
http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=17406

·
Registered
71 Posts
New Cast

Hi Juro:
I followed the discussion regarding your 'new cast'.
I can't exactly see how you execute this, but if you have access to Henrik Mortensen's new video "The Perfect Cast" he seems to perform a similar double snake. This sequence is seen towards the latter part of the video. Here, too, I can't see precisely what he is doing. He uses the cast mostly as an example of ease of use, beauty, and a means of gaining some extra time with his casting style.

Cheers,
Tom.

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to check it out, sounds like a great video.

Here's what I am doing:
  • left bank, upriver wind, current moving right to left
  • line is at the dangle, downriver and taut
  • lift to reduce surface tension, then pull the line across to the upriver side as if you wanted to lay the line down with the fly pointing upriver
  • before the line straightens out, make a snake roll on the upriver side

It's certainly about ease of motion, as you can't hurry the cast. However it works just as well with any length of line and is not particularly a Scandinavian cast.

It's interesting how difficult it has been to communicate such an easy cast (conceptually). Perhaps my video SUCKS :lildevl:

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Juro

So, if I am reading your cast correctly it is as follows...

1. Snap T
2. Before the line straightens out, snake roll while the line is aerialized?
3. Cast

Me so very confused!!!!!! Is there a video??

Vinnie

<edit> I'm a retard, I saw the video. Sorry. I will have to try this cast at the lake.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Looking at the video for about 5 minutes again, is that not an aerialized snap t?

I remember seeing Gunter Feuerstein perform this similar cast on his webpage. I will have to peruse my system to find the web site.

Vinnie

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Simon Gawesworth's new book on Spey Casting.

First, it's not inexpensive, but it IS an absolutly WONDERFULLY done book. All the photos are in colour, the casts are very well diagramed, etc.

The only cast shown that had me scratching my head was how he showed the snake roll. The cast, as diagramed, looks very much like Juro's cast rather than the snake as I was taught by Way and Steve.

That aside, this is a book you HAVE TO own ... especially if you have to a 'self-taught caster.'
fae

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
loophitech said:
Looking at the video for about 5 minutes again, is that not an aerialized snap t?

I remember seeing Gunter Feuerstein perform this similar cast on his webpage. I will have to peruse my system to find the web site.

Vinnie

Vinnie -

Sorry about the poor video quality!

Since then I have posted a much clearer clip.

New clearer clip

To answer your question, no or at least I don't think so. It could be called an "aerialized snake roll" but then again snake rolls are already aerialized, and they are downriver anchor casts where this is an upriver anchor, therefore "upriver snake roll" seemed to fit.

Hope this answers the question, I will take down the bad video link above and replace it with the better one to avoid confusion.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Juro (all),

I found the website. I hope you can view the pages. I have not been able to, however, these videos (when viewable) were a great help in my self schooling of spey casting, along with this sites videos as well as Aaron.

http://www.g-feuerstein.com/Werfen/twohander/2handedcasting.htm

Vinnie

P.S. Nice video. Can you send that to me in real time or maybe post another one? I need to try that one. Looking at it from this angle it does not look like the cast I first thought.

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vinnie -

I did a search on Gunter Feuerstein and found the site and video clip. Very similar looking and I see how you would reach your conclusion. I like the aerial snap-T and will have to try it out tomorrow AM during practice. Thanks!

However it is a different cast in the following ways:

- The first move from the lift is a snap in the AST whereby it's only a straight accelerated path upriver in the URS (please refer to new better video).

- The second move is a simple drawback to form a d-loop using the tension in the aerial snap to pull against in the AST cast; whereby it's a forward roll crossing the plane of the line in the URS to push a "nose" as Dana puts it out toward the target. The rod or line never crosses the path of the line in the Gunter's cool cast until the final casting stroke.

I would theorize that it's more difficult to lay the anchor pointing toward the target with the aerial snapT than with the upriver snake. This is because the only move to create the anchor in the AST is the draw back (sweep) against the aerial snap motion. Thus the only way to get the anchor straight is to pull the end of the line back beyond the plane of the snap (you can see the anchor falling across in front pointing straight downstream in a "bloody L" within the first/top of the three aerial snapT video clips on Gunter's site)

The downside with the upriver snake is that it's easier to hit the line moving across in front of you since the first snake is rolled out toward the target before sweeping back the d-loop. I had to learn to wait for it the hard way. This cast requires that the caster allow the end of the line to pass the rod before crossing the plane with the rod to roll out the first snake toward the target.

Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, but they are different casts in my book.

Thanks for referring me to that video! I guess there are at least 5 casts for right bank upriver anchor (random order):

1) single spey
2) snap/circle
3) perry poke
4) aerial snap-t
5) upriver snake

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Juro

Juro,

Thanks for the replies. I am definitely going to practice your cast as it seems quite useful where I fish here. Are you shooting any decent amount of line with that cast? Do you think a scan. head will be too short? It looked like you were using a windcutter or mid-spey??? The first video you had definitely did not show as much detail as the very made second video. I appreciate your posts as they aer informative and some even make me chuckle.

Vinnie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts