Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an Alaskan guide tell me he uses nothing but nail knots for attaching leaders and for the backing to fly line connections. He said he has never had one pull apart ever, regardless of fish species. I was wondering if anyone disagrees with this.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
It's a good knot but I've pulled them off of mono core sink tip when hung up on wood. I think an Albright is tougher in that regard.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,061 Posts
Tied properly and seated well...

the nail knot is very reliable. My only failures have been on some of the specialty lines that are very slick. On those lines, some other method likely is better.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
It's a good knot but I've pulled them off of mono core sink tip when hung up on wood. I think an Albright is tougher in that regard.
Yeah I don't trust them with that sort of material. Loop nail knot is another alternative to Albright.

Never had an issue elsewhere.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I use them on all of my trout rigs, but I have had them pull the fly line coating off when hung solid to something.

J

·
0 Posts
Yeah I don't trust them with that sort of material. Loop nail knot is another alternative to Albright.

Never had an issue elsewhere.
I think the loop nail knot is the same thing as what some of us call the saltwater nail knot. I like it better than the Albright and it's locked in so it can't pull out like a standard nail knot. I've lost one nice fish to a nail knot and have had several pull out when hung up on wood, like shotgunner and others have mentioned. I've gone almost completely to braided loops now, but the saltwater nail knot is what I'd use if I wanted a nail knot type connection.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I've used nothing but the looped nail knot for more than 25 years to attach leader butts. Never had one fail or pull off the line.

·
Recreational User
214 Posts
I had an Alaskan guide tell me he uses nothing but nail knots for attaching leaders and for the backing to fly line connections. He said he has never had one pull apart ever, regardless of fish species. I was wondering if anyone disagrees with this.

As an Alaskan (fly fishing only) guide that has had many a nail knot strip off the end of guests' lines (and more than one flyline / backing connection), I disagree with this.

The Albright is my go-to knot for unlooped lines, but for the last 2 years I have been welding loops in all my lines...so far, not a single loop connection has failed.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,061 Posts
Nail knot failures

I've never encountered an Alaska-sized challenge, but my nail knot failures came on heavy, thick-coated lines, like some of the lines marketed as extra-stealthy or tropical heat resistant. The standard lines have never been a problem. The biggest challenge I've ever faced came from a snag that I encountered while floating a very fast stretch of the North Platte. The nail knot held, but I lost most of the leader when a blood knot failed. Like any other knot, you have to be careful and not take any shortcuts. It is a lot better to take your time and get it done right than to pay the price on the river. When in doubt, cut it off and start over.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It depends....

I used to work with an english guy,,,who always answered, and painfully often, to cover his arse,,,,"it depends...."

To deal with the varying answers that came before me....it depends on executing it properly(i see it done poorly often), with the proper amount of wraps, and I always put a drop of crazy glue on it....and literally hundreds of big chinooks, and lotso Tarpon, sharks, and it has never failed me once. I think the difference in my case is when I finish it, I am very critical, and if i am not happy with it, I clip it and start over(on a bad day 4 times!). But I use it for butt sections, sink tip loop attachments, leader constructions, etc, and I would never use an albright if i didnt have to...although, done properly they work to, but not efficient across so many areas,,,i used to utilize an albright connecting mono to spectra backing, but spectra backing wasnt getting me anything and a good dacron is soft enough that it wouldnt destroy what it was connected to....so went back to dacron and nail knots...
I lose fish to hook pulls, broken rods, and a lack of humility,,,not the nail knot. :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
David1123

The only time I ever had a nail knot fail was when I was using Mason hard nylon. The knot simply came untied while pulling on a snag. Now I always use a drop of super glue on my all nail knots, and I've never had a problem since.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Cold windy and wet in the middle of the river time to tie a NK, what pain in the butt!:chuckle: but well worth it.

I can't think of a time when one failed me its a great knot and everyone needs to learn to tie it in any situation.

Kc

·
Dom
3,121 Posts
Neil knots are outdated and weak. Best connection backing to line is spliced loop to welded loop. Stronger and smoother than anything else. Best way to connect your sink tip to your leader is tippet ring tied to stripped coating exposed mono core. Ive done extensive research on this subject.

If you still use nail knots for anything else but tiny dry flies than you serously need to reconsider other available methods.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you still use nail knots for anything else but tiny dry flies than you serously need to reconsider other available methods.
What difference does the size of the fly make? That 20lb fish with the #12 fly doesn't know it's a nail knot.

Welded and spliced loops are too prone to cracking for me.
A tidy nail knot is my go-to, and if it is showing cracking in the field, I can tie another one. Quickly.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nail knots are great , but the Double nail knot has never failed me yet , after last fall fishing , I'v now gone to adding a spot of uv glue to my knots , my fishing bud got me into it , he's much more finicky then me ,

you can never be to old to learn new tricks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts