Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a mystic 5 wt switch rod. Anyone here have any experience with these rods.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a chance to cast the 4wt switch at Spey Nation. It was a sweet little trout rod. Definitely a rod that is intended for smaller water and smaller fish. The 4 was light and nimble. Through tight loops and fished well at decent distances as well as close range. I imagine the 5wt would be similar but with a bit more back bone. The mystic rods are nice for sure.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Where in bc are you? Nile Creek Fly Shop is a dealer and if you can stop in to try one out I bet you'd be happy. Courtney doesn't carry any bad gear as small fly shops have to very selective of what they stock. Best of luck

sent from the North Pole

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5wt switch

Thanks, but I already bought the rod this morning. Riverside fly and tackle gave me $ 100 off the retail price. Couldn't resist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having a difficult time finding out what size of Maxi Skagit Max Short and Scandi lines are recommended for the Mystic 5wt 11'3" switch rod.
I have tried emailing Mystic but have had no response and I have tried the Rio line app, but they don't list Mystic. As the rivers are open here and i would like to get out and try the new rod so any help would be appreciated.

·
Please don't stand behind
153 Posts
I have a buddy who fishes that rod. He uses the Beulah lines. The Elixer line he uses the 275gr for a switch and for Skagit/Tonic he casts the 325 for a switch rod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. Not sure if Beulah is available here, but i am sure there are comparable lines in those grain weights. :)

·
Banned
894 Posts
Did the shop not have any recommendations? Call Nile, Courtney is very familiar with that line of rods and will let you know the best line. Really, he has probably cast all the mystic line with every possible line combo

sent from the North Pole

1 - 8 of 8 Posts