Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend found this on the banks of a local river lately. There was a big red round indicator nearby but I can's say for sure the two were used together. Does anyone know what this pattern is called or how successful a person could be with it?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have seen a similar fly here north of the 49th - I think it is called the RCMP Special - but for some reason it doesn't cast or fish well with a Spey rod :confused:

·
Registered
203 Posts
What Gives??

Jeez 'tip - first you go and find someone's lost rod and reel on the Skagit, then you find this nice fly!! Are you sure you didn't find them in the same place???

That would certainly explain the gorgeous steelhead? :saevilw: :saevilw: :hihi:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DS,

While I did find that rod and reel, this fly was found by a friend who prefers not to be named. In fact, I received the pics from one of his friends who really wanted to know if I could see if anyone could identify this dressing. I'm a bit in the dark as from the responses, it appears people know more about this than they are saying. I don't get it frankly as I read somewhere that flies don't matter and it is flylines that catch fish. :confused: Personally I don't care as I find it quite the ugly pattern and not anything I would ever fish. But then again, I have been accused of being part of the conspiracy of the shadow establishment of fishing puritans. As one who knows the secret handshake, I know you understand.

sinktip

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
DS,

Perhaps the tipper took a class from the steelhead god of the S rivers since I seem to recall a fly very similar to this one being touted by the aforementioned steelhead god and his students as the fly to use if you want to hook steelhead.

Kush,

I've heard the RCMP Special has its own light show built into its design.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The big pink things are called pastic worms or in some locations hawg rinds. I usually tie them in using a bait loop. This holds well and really shines when you are boondogging out of the raft.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Dana,

In some locals, their more lively cousin, the pink squid, or their other cousin, the pink wiggle tail is used. Sometimes the hook it buried in the soft plastic body of these wonder lures instead of using the bait loop; therefore, no fly tying skills are needed. And I hear tell if you really want to knock 'em dead, a pink buzz bomb is the ticket. Unfortunately, I don't think they cast worth a darn on a spey rod.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The spey fishers pink worm!!!! 1/2" hook shank medium lead eyes and 5 to 6" of hot pink rabbit strip, leader woven through the rabbit strip and finnished off with a size 2 or 4 gamakatsu. This should put you in the game!!!! Never fished one of those white things before, but have found quite a few up on the S rivers as of late. What are these folks thinking :hihi:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Have you fished it yet? I know you have no pride come on give us the scoop you have a box full of then now.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Two boxes full of them but I'm waiting till I graduate from Steelhead School to use them :p

Actually, a certain Sultan of Splice has the only evidence of this "can't miss" fly. As to his fishing it, I don't want to know.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hmm, I hate to dig up your fugly history but, could that be your secret golden bone fly? For years I've heard rumors that such a fly existed and well you are the master golden .....er :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts