Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
18,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about a year behind on this :eek:
After reading about how fellows here protect their cherished reels while on the river, I felt that I had to share my kit.

This is a big shout out to Robert/Bob/Bigfoot :):)

While Bob (Bigfoot) was building my custom call out Spey and Dee fly wallets, I had asked him if he could be so kind and build something else for me.
I wanted some reel protection while on the river. For hiking down to the river side, in a boat or just leaning up against a branch, bench or over hang while waiting for rotation, having lunch or sharing a story.

After many emails, measurements and more emails, Bob came up with these beauties:

Both have my initials on the front flap. The flap is secured by earth magnets, for a clean look.
Bob also integrated a strap to protect the handle from scuffing and for extra security.

The inside is completely lined with sheep's wool, same as his wallets. Great for wicking away moisture and added protection.

The over strap wraps around the reel seat and the earth magnets hold the flap in place. You can see from the above photo how the reel is just nestled into place and the amount of protection that is offered by the leather and wool.

The back side is equally as handsome.

Bob's craftsmanship is superb !! Quality of materials is top shelf and I am truly pleased and proud of this bit of kit !!
I am just amazed with the amount of talent within our community here !!

Mike

·
Registered
911 Posts
Dang!! Those are really sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: GR8LAKES FLYER

·
Registered
740 Posts
They're beautiful Mike but I see those in the same light as my Arne Mason cases.
I can't see that I could be able to have a rod setup like that sitting in the rain in a guide's boat or standing up against a tree or wall getting scuffs, scratches and dings.
It would pain me to have that case damaged almost as much as the reel it's protecting. That's why I have the neoprene equivalents.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,820 Posts
Bobs stuff is amazing ...... now if I could only just hang on to a wallet instead of giving them away to good friends lol

Reactions: GR8LAKES FLYER

·
Administrator
18,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh my friend, I am careful with my kit. They are carefully and thoughtfully placed while in rest. Not thrown against a tree or on rocks, I respect my gear and the builders who have put their efforts into creating them :)
At the end of the day, they are tools of the trade and they go to work. Rain or shine, cold or warm, they are fished.
They are not abused by any means, but they are used.

You are a great friend Bruce !! It all comes back :)

Mike

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,662 Posts
Those are "reel" sweet looking Mike and classy! Sure beats my $12 neoprene covers. I hope you oil them regularly with a saddle soap? That will waterproof them and stop staining should something get on them.

Dan

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mike,

You have taken reel protection to a higher level. The cases you have shown are a good example of fine workmanship and practical design.

Do you find it convenient to store the cases while you are out on the water? My soft leather or neoprene cases can be compressed to a flat shape and stuffed into a pocket. Your cases are beautiful, but probably need to be stored in a backpack on the side of the river. How do you manage the storage?

Doug

·
Administrator
18,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those are way too classy for me...
Well "Snake" ... and I call you that after your handle being "Skol Bandit" (Don Prudhomme aka "The Snake" was a top fuel funny car driver in the 70's ... yes the 70's and I remember him. He drove the Skol Bandit, which was a Pontiac of all things ... but that car was unstoppable ... even for Cha-Cha, but that's another story).

Some can say the same about me ... but I like the bespoke look :D

Doug, you make a valid point about the "after storage". These reel protectors do not collapse easily, nor should they. For short jaunts along an easy path to the river, they are not taken. For the long treks along a salmon river they are left in a river side pack at the middle of the run. I have tucked one inside the top of my waders and it wasn't too uncomfortable, but not ideal. They are excellent for the rod racks on the vehicle for pool hopping :D

Thanks for the kind words my friends :)
The real champion here is Robert ... a master craftsman !!

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
If you have to ask...you can't afford it!:tsk_tsk:

Nate
When you get an answer like this it usually means HE couldn’t afford it either (or someone in the household would think that if they found out) but got one anyway. :hihi:

The ARE sexy for sure!

I’ve been using the padded mesh covers from Simms in boats, etc. those as super protective, but in turn are not so fancy you will feel you have to in turn protect them from damage.

Maybe Mike should get one of those to cover the fancy reel cover!:chuckle:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have to ask about the practicality of these beautiful cases....I read that water is not great for leather cases, and could potentially cause some damage. What has your experience been like?

Have to admit, I keep going back and looking at these....just awesome!

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,662 Posts
I have to ask about the practicality of these beautiful cases....I read that water is not great for leather cases, and could potentially cause some damage. What has your experience been like?

Have to admit, I keep going back and looking at these....just awesome!
This is why I mention a good saddle soap/oil. I've been using it on boots and such for many years. It will soften and protect the leather very well. It does take repeated applications and maintenance.

Dan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts