Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

I got my new 4" "Salmon Bougle" in the other day. Balances well even on the smallest CND Expert - just moved the fulcrum point back a couple inches. Very comfortable, but it did take 300+ yds. of backing and it would still hold an 8/9 Windcutter with the space I have left.

Here it is:

Zach

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,497 Posts
Zach,

What backing are you using? 30# dacron, 20# dacron, gel spun???

I think you will like the Bougle. I used to own a couple of the old Mark IV models and liked them. I hear the Mark V models are also quite nice and have a "perfect" sound.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Beautiful reel :cool: . Traditional click and pawl drag ?

Which CND is that ? I haven't seen one with the black reel seat.

Congrats :D .

Gillie

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys-

The Bougle' is an adjustable pawl drag. It is literally a raised pillar Perfect, more or less identical in internal design. The design was made in 1903 for the French competition caster M. Bougle' as an aluminum, light weight, large capacity alternative to the brass Perfect that predated it. I am not sure when the first Salmon Bougle was made - possibly not until a lot later since the original Bougle was not manufactured in high numbers.

The backing is standard 30# dacron, unfortunately in flourescent yellow since that was all the shop had.

The CND is the 13' 6/7 Expert, the small one. I think that is why it has the graphite spacer.

Zach

1 - 4 of 4 Posts