Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I finally bought my reel. I want to thank all you guys that helped with my decision. I've never even seen the reel before so my decision was solely based on what you guys mentioned. And I did make the right choice. The reel is sweet. I think he should make a centerpin, thats my floatfishing side talking.

Now my problem is balance. It doesn't balance very well with my GL3. I should of kept my Penn but whats done is done. I'm going to try balance it with some lead tape but can anyone suggest a rod? 13-14, 8 or 9 wt.

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya got the 8/12, will it balance better the when the line is through the guides, cause I just attached the reel to the line. The tip took a nose dive. Although the overall weight feels better than my other reel but the balance is bad, I have to hold it just above the cork.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the 14 8/9. Had it out today, just a little tip heavy. Going to get some lead tape. Maybe an ounce or 2 might do it.

I was at the Catt clave today. Checked out some Scotts, Winston, and T&T. These rods were light and balaced very nicely, but the price wasn't exept for the Scott LS2, still 5 bills I think. I liked the T&T a lot, 13 ft 7 8wt 3 pce. figures I have to like the most expensive one.

·
Registered
445 Posts
..............Snoryder, on my 14' GL3 8/9, the LW 8/12 has the rod level, but it needs a lot more backing, which would help. When I put my Van Staal on,(which weighs 9.4 oz. vs. the 7.1 of the LW) the tip is high. That's good, once the line and fly are in the water, it will fish well. You'll probably only have to add an ounce or ounce and half of lead. Thomas & Thomas make great rods! I have a 1409/5 that I fish a lot. It has a down locking reel seat that is a bit heavier than most. They manufacture it themselves, it really helps to balance the rod without resorting to a heavy reel. It's the little things that make a great rod. Once you add that little bit of weight to your rod, you will have a very light combination to fish with.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, the T&T you have, is that a special request for the downlock? I was debating with the Scott but what sold me on the T&T was the finish on the reel seet and overall the rod looked better. I just have to convince my wife its worth the purchase. :) We need these things right?

So how does your 1409 balance the LW 8/12? To light for a 14 ftr?

·
Registered
445 Posts
...............Snoryder, the downlocking reelseat is standard on the 1409/5, don't know how the 1309 is equipped. The LW is too light for the T & T, it weighs a couple of ounces more than the Loomis. My Van Staal is 9.5 oz., it balances it well. That rod will cast everything from 615 grains to 975 grains, without complaint.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I'm believe all T&T double-handed rods are equiped with a down-locking reel seat.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Downlocking

typically places the reel lower on the rod and causes the reel to balance a heavier tip better than an uplocking with the same length bottom grip.

·
Registered
328 Posts
the LW 8-12 balances great whit a GL3 14´ #9-10................................................................................................. soe the #8.9 whoud be the same thing...

the LW 8-12 balances whit an Stinger GLX 15´ #10-11 allso... and its not to big to have on a singlehand 10´ #8 rod....

·
Registered
328 Posts
The LW 8-12 reel is the perfect reel for the speycaster hwo is using shootingheads! The reel can be used on small 12fot rods up to 15´ (lighter ones whit downlock reelseats like GLX 15´, Stinger GLX 15´, GIV 15,1´ (custom), Distance GLX 14,6´ and others simlilar).

Whit LW 8-12 reel, gelspun backing and a Flatbeam 50lb shootingline you have a really god reel whit capasity for upp to 15m long and thick floating shootinghead. I eved had mine on a Yellowline 9,3´ #8-9 singelhander becuse i dident have any other reel around, it was a little big but the reel i so lightweight thaht it wasent any problems.

I have one LW 8-12, and one Evotec 9-13 (old blackone) thaht i traded for my other LW 8-12... Becuse i did need a little bigger reel! Now im going to buy a new LW 8-12, becuse they are so nice!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well mine doesn't balance at all. That reel is to light for a long rod. It balances nicely on the 13's I've tried. Haven't tried it on a Scott or T&T 14 footer yet though. I added about some lead and still it doesn't tip up, going to add some more.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Snoryder--

If you need a heavier reel you can used HD 9-13 ( 10.2 oz) or even better HD 11-14 (11.5 oz) . The 9-13 has the same capacity as LW 8-12, while 11-14 will hold an extra 100 yards of 30lb Dacron and will balance perfectly 15’ rod.
I use LW8-12 with Loop Grey or 14'3" Solstice.
With ARC 15' #9 goes HD 11-14.

Salmo

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool, I plan on buying the HD in the future , it wasn't my intention to keep the GL3, its my first outfit, I'm doin the upgrade thing. Nice to hear what 14 ftr balaces with it, the new rods are so light. Watcha think the lightest 14 ftr is? Winston Biix?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.