Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are a few of the highlights of my journey to pass the THCI.

Four of us agreed to take the test at the Sandy Clave last October. At that time I could hardly make a cast with my left hand up. After many conversations with various people and a lot of work, I was finally was able to make that 100 foot cast. Along the way I found out what I really knew about Spey casting and how to teach my left hand. I Changed my style several times and finally, a couple of days before the test, I put together a style that works.

There are several things that I would suggest suggest to Spey casters wanting to go to the next level. First, I would find a buddy to cast with, and set a routine that has a warm up in it. My routine was a 70' dead line roll cast, 70' overhead cast of both sides, and then on into the 80' switch cast. During practice do three casts with the right hand up and then switch hands. If any time you start "blowing the casts" stop and start your routine over again with the opposite hand. When you get good at making your switch casts add a change of direction instead of making switch casts all the time.

Mark your line. I used a 8/9 Delta Spey and I could play with the overhang length by adjusting the leader length to be at the 80' mark.

If you can use a fast rod, do it. They do things easier for you and after a while they become very easy to cast. I used a 1409-5 T&T for most of my casting and finally used a 14'8/9 G.Loomis Greased Line for the test.

Look at all the casting video's for some little thing that you can adapt to your style. For a while I was having difficulty loading a faster rod, so by watching Simon's RIO video figured out what was necessary. Those are the kinds of things to look for. A faster rod needs to be kept flatter during the loading moves.

Now for the "Thank You's". Aaron who pulled me aside the day before the test and helped get my legs under me again. My casting buddie's, Ron, Klem, Stan Luddy, and my wife Dorothy, who told me all the time that I could do it.

Leroy............
FFF certified THCI & CI
G. Loomis Pro Staff

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hats Off

Congrat, I knew you could do it. Now sit back, relax and enjoy some fishing time. You deserve a few moment of pride for a job well done. Klem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts